home theater for 3000

new speakers, amp/pre/pro(rec), and dvd player for under $3000 any help???????
this is for a friend who listens to rock and techno.
glenn1000

Showing 3 responses by sean

You are pretty much stuck with using a receiver ( albeit a decent one ), a "speaker package" from one manufacturer and what should be a pretty solid DVD player with a few bucks left over for "reasonable" cables, a rack and some accessories IF buying new. Buying used opens up all kinds of doors. You might want to discuss this option with your buddy and see what he thinks. While there are TONS of good deals available "on line", one consideration would be warranty. Given your friends willingness to trust you and help him get set up, don't forget to mention this relatively important aspect to a "newcomer".

Given his taste in music and that it will be used for HT use also, you might want to look at what Klipsch has to offer. I know that they make a surround set-up ( center channel, 4 speakers for mains and surrounds and a small sub ) that you can easily pick up for under $1000 brand new. These are pretty efficient, have a lot of "punch" for their cost and size and should give him what he's looking for.

This would leave you with about $1000 for an RX ( Yamaha, Denon or NAD ), $350 for a DVD player ( Pioneer or Sony ), $100 for speaker stands ( Sanus, etc... ), $225 for interconnects and speaker cable with $175 for a "rack" that could support his TV, audio gear, VCR, etc... ( Sanus, Salamander, etc... ). With all of the money invested in this system, you can't overlook "protecting it" ala a decent power line filter for $100 ( Monster HTS-1000 ).

Given the horn loading on the Klipsch and the "solid state" sound of the RX and DVD, i would opt for cables that are smooth to relatively neutral. Since we have to keep the total price down and we have SIX speakers to hook up, the first thing that comes to mind is Axon speaker cable. You could use Axon 8 for the center and mains with Axon 4 for the surrounds. You can "snag" this stuff at good prices from Elliot at Zalytron ( www.zalytron.com ). Another suggestion might be checking with the Cable Company to see what they have ( www.usedcables.com ) or look here on Audiogon to see what is available from fellow members. Something along the lines or Tara or Audioquest might also be complimentary product lines since they too are not bright or piercing.

I suggested the NAD, Yamaha and Denon RX's because these lines typically sound a little smoother and less forward / glaring than your typical Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Crackerjack, etc... RX's. Combined with the "smoother" cables, they should help to balance out some of the forwardness and glare of the digital recordings and horns.

As to the "audio furniture" ( speaker stands and A/V rack ), Audio Advisor ( www. audioadvisor.com ) has several pieces in their "clearance" or "hot buys" section. The Monster PLC can be had at Global Mart ( http://www1.globe-mart.com/computer/surge/monstercable/index.htm ). Just make sure that you click on their "best price" section.

Going at face value of my suggestions, this puts you at $2950 ( plus shipping, etc... ). You may be able to "haggle" that down a bit or just find better prices by shopping around. This was by NO means a definitive answer to your question, it simply shows a way to attack a "balanced system approach" that will look good, sound good and be well balanced. Don't forget that if you are going to consider buying mail order, take a look at the Audio / Video Survey website to verify whether a dealer / reseller is reputable or not worth getting involved with ( http://www.audiosurvey.com/index.html ). Hope this helps and gives you some ideas to play around with. Sean
>
Wow. That's good to know "E". I have not been in the receiver market, let alone HT receiver, for a LONG, LONG time. Out of curiousity, how much power per channel is that "baby" rated at and how many channels ??? Sean
>
Plasma, thanks for the laughs. While the first one was your reference to "projectile vomit" ( oh, if you could only see the pictures ), the second one is hilarious because it is "universal" and OH SO TRUE : )

(When it comes to audio snobbery, I'll match upturned noses with the best of them. We audiophiles wear our pretensions like a badge of honor.)

As much as we try, we STILL get "snobby" when surrounded by "low fi" infidels, don't we : ) Keep up the good work and i'll have to remember to check into the Ascend Acoustics. Best wishes... Sean