home theater for 3000

new speakers, amp/pre/pro(rec), and dvd player for under $3000 any help???????
this is for a friend who listens to rock and techno.
glenn1000

Showing 1 response by plasmatronic

Sean is right. What you describe is a receiver-based system.

I'll try to help, but it'll be a real challenge to work with a $3,000 budget. I'll do my best.

There are a few other close choices in the receiver and DVD player category and I wouldn't projectile vomit if someone had other suggestions. I really don't think such other alternatives exist in the speaker category for the price, but I'm open to hearing about (and hearing) other candidates.

FYI, I own a $25,000 system and spent a lot of listening time (and working at a job) putting it together. When it comes to audio snobbery, I'll match upturned noses with the best of them. We audiophiles wear our pretensions like a badge of honor.

So don't be shocked at what I'm about to recommend. And remember that everything I suggest is my opinion. It's the only one I'm qualified to give.

Here goes (costs are street prices):

Speakers: Two Ascend CBM 170s in front, one Ascend HTM-200 in the center (it'll match, but if you are concerned, for a few bucks more you can make the center a 170) and two HTM-200s for surrounds. $750.00. (www.ascendacoustics.com)

Stands for the above mains: $90.00

Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS595 $380.00

DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-37 $560.00

Total $1780.00

OK, let's add a powered subwoofer. Sony SA-WM40 $199.00 (if you laugh you haven't heard it).

Total $1,979.00, less tax and/or shipping.

I told you this would be difficult.

You could always spend the extra grand on cables and a power cord (just kidding -- see my post in Audiogon Forum Cables under "John Dunlavy On Cable Nonsense.")