Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
Absolute Sound in January issue just had a really nice write-up on the SDV (and associated transport) - it was great timing for me as I am deliberating this decision and was not familiar with T+A.

I am still quite curious if anyone has had meaningful opportunity to check out a single brand - but across the line:

DCS - Bartok vs Rossini vs Vivaldi

or

MSB - Premier vs Reference vs Select

Esoteric - K-03(x) vs k-01(x) vs k1(x) (i realize these are player/dac)

etc...

at what point do the diminishing returns really kick in for above?  Of course, there is the diminishing return factor to even get into the ‘base’ models of those brands, as well! Lol
@ufguy73 - I've done a listen to the complete lineup up of DCS products.  They all build on each other. Each step up is an obvious improvement in sonic quality and soundstage.  However, I think you need the matching system to get the best out of them. 

I've a Audio Research Ref 3LE, VT80SE, Linn DSM with upgraded DAC & Wilson Sophia 3's.  I think the Bartok would provide an improvement in overall quality vs the Linn.  Not sure I'd do justice to the Vivaldi without an upgrade in the Pre and power amps.

But it also depends what else you want to do with your system.  Linn has greater options as far as connectivity that the DCS Bartok.  I only stream and occasionally hook up my TV to the Linn for the occasional movie.  If you want to add a turntable, TV, CD etc. then I'd look at Linn as an option over the DCS Bartok.  If you are just into streaming and have the rest of the system the DCS Bartok is great.

Consider the Lumin X1 DAC streamer.  It sounds great and vinyl like.  It has an optional optic fiber input.  One key factor is magnetic shielding which the X1 is designed to provide.  (Superior magnetic shielding is the reason provided as to why my Sony SCD1 sounds better that my SCD777.)
  I purchased the X1 in Jan 2020 and am very happy with it.
rgmd11.. in what manner did you compare the Bartok to the T&A? For instance did you use a good preamp with the Bartok? Just curious.
I am still quite curious if anyone has had meaningful opportunity to check out a single brand - but across the line:

MSB - Premier vs Reference vs Select
i have heard the Reference and Select in the same system at an audio show. i did not hear them quickly A/B. and it was a show system and not my own files and server. but i could hear the differences. you hear farther into the music with the Select, more textures and nuances. less processed. more like my analog. but the Reference does all of those same things, just less by degrees. same family sound and sense of musical rightness.

heard the Premier but not with the other two. similar sound, less by degrees. as you might expect, there is a bigger jump from Premier to Reference, than Reference to Select.....but there is a magic with the Select that is singular. the laws of diminishing returns are legit.....but at the top of the heap there is a prize. :-)