High-value ICE offerings or Ayre V3, ARC 100.2

I'm torn between the highly-reviewed class D amps and the "classics" from late 90s/early 2000s such as the ARC 100.2 or Ayre V3. I came of audio-age in the late 90s and looking through the Audiogon listings, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

At the $1500-$2000 range, there are just so many options, such as the Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000, which is apparently competitive with amps costing many times its price. But the question is: how do these new high-value amp compare to the better amps from 10 years ago such as the Ayre V3 or ARC 100.2 or even the VT 100 MKII, which you can also pick up new in the $1500 to $2000 range.

My system is currently AR ES-1 for analog, EAD Utradisc 2000 (transport), Benchmark DAC1 Pre for digital, amp is Plinius 8200 integrated, speaker are Revel Ultima Gems and Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII. I've had the 8150/8200 for over 10 years, and I think I'm ready for a change. The 8200 has a warmish signature and I think I want something a tad more dynamic and speedy. I have mini-monitors so it's pretty clear soundstage and imaging are pretty important to me. The Revels are a recent addition, picked up because the Dynaudios sound a little compressed when playing big classical, and I'm thinking I need to step up my amplification.

Musically, I listen to mostly 70s rock, classical (orchestral and chamber) and jazz. The Revels definitely need a sub for classical and that's also on my list.

If you have any other options for suitable amps, I'd love to hear them too.

Thanks!
twinda1

Showing 2 responses by coxhaus

I sure liked the magic mid range from the ARC VT 100 and the MKII model. You could pick up a ARC LS-3 or LS-2 to use as a preamp for not much money maybe $2000 - $2500 for both.
I would add the ARC PH3 to the above for phono. This would add another $750 for the PH3.