High value floorstanders around $1k used

Hi, does anyone know what other speaker line has a comparable price/performance ratio to the Triangle line. I like the triangles, but really don't want to use a sub and I'd like the speakers to be black. Amp is Creek 5350R (75 wpc). Like to listen to jazz and would like to hear the string bass notes well. How about the Axioms M60ti? Room is medium size and close to wall placement will be necessary. Thanks.
andrejb
Used Thiel .5s for $650 on this site...phase correct design,great imaging, a little lean on bass and a little power hungry...but they are front ported so they would work near walls... a great little 2-way floorstander....
You should check out a pair of the Von Schweikert VR-1 http://www.vonschweikert.com/interface/vr1_main.htm . They retail for 1k and sound awesome. The top end is precise and crisp without sounding tinny and if you are putting them close to the rear wall the base is no problem. But better yet, you will still get a great and deep soundstage. To me they sound like the best electrostatics with a great rich base to-boot.
Regarding Thiels, you can now find 2.2's at your price point used. They are very natural and transparent, and provide excellent bass extension and detail for the cabinet size and cost. They will work alright placed close to the front wall (no rear port), although the bass could get a little heavy overall depending on the room size and the amp being used. Been happy with mine since '97.
I agree with Subaruguru. I feel you would be better off to get a breat pair of monitors, and then perhaps add a subwoofer at a later date. I would suggest the green mountain audio europa's. The are a great sounding monitor.