HiFi Rose RS250

Hi, all.  There doesn't seem to be one, yet, so I thought I'd start just a general discussion thread on this new streamer for owners to share tips, tricks, issues, solutions, system setup, etc.  Kind of a one-stop shop for any potential owner, as well.

I just took delivery of mine.  It's smaller than I expected, which is not a complaint.  Doesn't need to be any bigger than it is.  Took me longer to find the right length of digital cable from the closet than it did to actually set the thing up, and that's including letting it install a firmware update.  Seems to be pretty plug-and-play.  It had the correct input selected by default.  I turned off all the outputs but the one I'm using.  Picked up my iPad, told Roon to send it music, and away she went.  No muss, no fuss.

I'm feeding mine via ethernet.  Qobuz is the main source.  Some local files, as well.  Output is coax digital to the DAC in my Mac pre, for now.  I'll be switching to the USB out when my Denafrips Pontus arrives, and balanced analog from there to the pre.

No tips or tricks to report so far, as I haven't needed any. :)

trentmemphis

Showing 5 responses by mbolek

I had the RS 250 for about a month.  Great unit.  Decent build quality and loved the front panel look.  

Used it as a Roon endpoint and streamed Qobuz.   Utilized the internal DAC and had it also connected to our LG TV (toslink).  Feeding GaN based Class D Audio and older Hypex UcD 700s. 

Unfortunately, I experienced audio drop outs and unit lock ups.   It drove my wife nuts, so shipped it back to Music Direct.   I really don't know if it was network issues or the unit itself.  I did read a Rose forum post that they experienced the same problems.  

Contemplating if I should replace it or maybe move up to the 150.  Currently using a MiniDSP SHD and really want to keep the Dirac functionality.

Looks like the 150 is built like a tank. Does the upgraded 9038 and additional connection flexibility (HDMI ARC, XLRs, I2S, etc) justify the cost increase. It might for me...

Consensus is that streaming functionality is the same for both units.

With AKM coming back online, I wonder if they will look at their new Velvet chips or stick with ESS.

Back to the 250...They do need to work out some usability bugs but it is a solid product that will do well in this space.

I did buy the 150B. Unbelievable unit. Surpassed all my expectations and no longer need to follow the Musetec stand alone DAC train. The integrated ESS 9038 is amazing.

I did find a way to relocate my internet gateway and now have run Onti CAT8 ethernet to the Rose. No more wifi. No issues....

Would concede that the 250 would benefit having the same direct connect.

Very happy!

I don’t understand how anyone can even think of replacing it with another DAC. Not possible, just not possible!

DACs...we don’t need any stinking DACs.