Hi-end audio is a big zero

This is no knock on dealers, It's just how hi-end audio is.

I go listen to some speakers. He has them set up like crap - jammed between 3 other pair. Running on electronics I would never choose so I have to try and compensate for what I imagine they are contributing to the sound. Then after 30 minutes, I am expected to shell out the $4,500.00.

I narrowed it down to two transports from an online retailer. And who knows if those 2 are even a good choice?  Told point blank, I am not allowed to buy both and return the one I don''t want. Just pick one and buy it. Shell out $1,000-$3,500 based on what?

One e-tailer will allow purchase 3 speakers totally $12K and return the two I don't want. Sorry, i have a conscience and can't do it to him.

Read all you want. Talk all you want. Listen at dealers all you want. But unless you listen in your own room, it's all meaningless. I'm talking even just 5 to 30 minutes can be all it takes. But that is basically impossible.

Sure you can buy and sell on A-gon or Ebay if you find what you want have the time to go through the process.

If the prices weren't so high or I did not care about sound quality maybe it would not matter.

cdc

High end audio can be tricky. I got in over my head when I bought Magico A3 speakers. I ended up going through a couple of amps: Yamaha A-S3000 and Prima Luna EVO400. I still wasn’t satisfied with the sonics and didn’t want to keep throwing darts and wasting money.

I drove halfway across the country and back to work with an expert who gave me a money back guarantee with no questions asked! Mike Powell in Atlanta.

I’ve been very satisfied and will go back for a DAC and other things in the future!

@vuch 

What is the problem with Magico speakers?

I've never heard a pair yet I often read about dissatisfied listeners when it comes to Magico speakers.

On paper it looks as if Alon Wolf has spared no expense in building the very best that current technology will allow him to. Apparently the very best cabinets, the best very drivers etc

So where exactly do things sometimes go wrong?

And why?

I'm sure that's a question that Mr Wolf himself might be interested in as well.

Problems? Magico loudspeakers are a precision tool. More so than any other loudspeaker on the market. A clear window to your upstream (the clearest).
You need to have your ducks in a row. Everything counts. They will reward you if you do that. If you are not willing/able to do that, or if you like your system colored and/or bombastic, Magico is not for you. Nothing wrong with that. 
Magico is not for everyone.

@cd318, Spot on comments by @mheinze!

Magico speakers are so amazing if everything upstream is worthy of them.

The problem may be that some people stretch to obtain Magico but find out that they may not match that well with their existing components. Typical rules you hear about spending the most on speakers in your system doesn’t apply to Magicos. You need absolutely incredible gear upstream to let Magico speakers reach their potential. That may take some time and a lot of additional funds to get it right. Besides going through three amps after getting the A3's, I also upgraded my preamplifier and added a phono preamplifier. I suspect that people that aren’t satisfied weren’t committed to seeking proper component synergy and give up leaving with a bad feeling about Magico.