Here's a challenge:a class A sound system for less

You may have heard the finest systems in show rooms or in expos or in a friend's house, those system's that cost well over $50,000. So you know the sound I'm talking about...... But can you get this sound for less? Name the system and components that make up a system that brings the sense of you are there experience but cost much less. Let's set the limit to $10,000. Name the components and speakers and cost, even used prices could be used since the components most likely are available here on agon. Let's see who could come up with the best deal.
pedrillo
Nsgarch,

I agree with you! If you can keep your system to a nearfield setup, you can build a great sounding system for WAY under $10,000. Heck, I'll bet you can build a great sounding system for under $3000 if you buy used.

I have a nearfield setup using a high quality CD player w/volume control connected to a pair of inexpensive mono-block amps and quality monitor speakers. Personally, I think it sounds better than any $50,000+ system I've heard in a dealers showroom. It is a different sound, but I like it. It is very intimate and it matches my musical taste.

Most expensive systems I've heard in showrooms had bloated midbass that sounded way too fat to me. Now, I'm not saying my "more intimate" presentation perference is right, I'm just sayin "I prefer it".....

Enjoy,

TIC
Toshiba sd9200 (~400used), Polk, or Kenwood XM or Sirius receiver (~200new), with digital out to a ARC DAC 5 (~450used), with XLR output to and Audio Experience Balanced line stage (~1000new) with balanced output to a Forte Model 4A (~600used) to a pair of Martin Logan SL3's (~1500 used) totals about $4150. Add shipping and various cables, and I beleive you come in under $5000. Should sound great, and, there are lots of room and finance possibilities available for other options. Happy Listening
can you elaborate what your experiance have been with various speakers for near field set up.. is there some pro audio monitors that work well for audiophile taste?..
thanks for replys
most 50k systems don't sound much different than 10k systems. synergy is the thing...not the dollars spent. going used is always helpful to save money on gear and have more to spend on the music.
The Hardway; (Equivalent to Meitner Kharma Lamm)

Lake Contour w/Digital input---$6000 (functions as DAC & X-over)
(2) Audio Refinement Multi 3----($2000)

Cambridge Audio DVD Azur 540D ($400)

Custom Eton 11.2 3 ways with Hiquphon tweeter upgrade ($1600)

The Easy way ($10K, better than your milkshakes :)

Focal SM8's with matching DSP Subwoofer,
Cambridge Audio 640H Music Server (digital out only)

These are shockingly good systems (no not kidding) I know because I own them they both compare very well to my ATC Anniversary 50 /ATC SCA-2 pre and Meridian system which costs 4 times more