Here comes the PS Audio's streamer -- anyone excited?

Many here are much more well versed in good streamers than me. Interested in reactions to this new entry.

128x128hilde45

jackd said,

"If your DAC doesn't use their I2S protocol it won't do you any good"

You won't be able to take advantage of I2S, but as vonhelmholtz said and is confirmed in the video, there is an RCA SPDIF output.  Compatible with essentially all DACs.  As for USB, Paul and the engineers at PS Audio don't care for USB so they choose not to emphasize it.  If someone needs USB out then look elsewhere ...

audioman58 said,

"I owned their top dac ,and inside a rip-off for the money the case is cheap like a $300 Blu-ray player ,I almost cut my hand open ,from the sharp edges

this too means it rings like a 🔔 no damping inside whatsoever ,on a $5k + piece of equipment and inside was just hollow space ."

Yes there is some empty space, that is a design decision. Digital circuits need to be kept physically apart from analog circuits to minimize noise transfer. Also, the DAC uses an FPGA for the digital conversion, a lot happens in that chip that eliminates some of the external components.

I also would not call that case cheap like a $300 Blu-Ray player, it’s a fairly simple design but has features that minimize the ringing compared to a cheap Blu-ray case. The fancy cases we see on expensive components are a significant cost driver. The DAC could have cost $1k more (or higher) if there was an audiophile approved case. Unknown if an audiophile approved case was more functional or just bling but PS Audio made their decision, and it works.

@pmotz ..."Yes there is some empty space, that is a design decision. Digital circuits need to be kept physically apart from analog circuits to minimize noise transfer."

Glad you pointed this out. Was thinking the same when I read some of the comments. Folks who understand at least the basics of design and best attempts at eliminating unnecessary noise can appreciate this. i.e. keeping the two parts isolated and apart from each other that is. Would have to listen to it for an extended period of time before determining if it’s worth the investment or not. 👍

Not excited, but I do appreciate PS Audio efforts and their business practices. I am fond of PS Audio, particularly their power regenerators and DACs. After I messed up a modificaiton on my DAC, PS Audio’s customer service was outstanding with their communication, time to repair, and price of repair. With PS Audio’s I2s not being univerally accepted as other manufactures have different standards, the I2S may not play well with others.