Help with streamer software

I ordered a PS Audio streamer, the AirLens, due here this week. PS Audio does not have an app for their streamer, and I am not interested in using Roon. I found a full-featured app called JPlay that works very well for streaming Qobuz to my current Lumin streamer.

My problem is that I listen to a lot of internet radio, and that is not supported by JPlay. TuneIn and other radio apps that I am aware of do not stream directly to higher-end devices. I know I can stream to my ipad and bump that over to the streamer but the quality problems are well known.

Does anyone know of a radio app for iOS that will stream directly to a higher-end DNLA / UPnP streamer? Or is there another way to solve this without getting into the Roon world?

Thanks in advance.

markmuse

Showing 9 responses by vandy357

@markmuse I have been considering the purchase of the AirLens also just for streaming Qobuz.  I just recently added an Aurender N20 to my system that will also stream Qobuz, so I am not convinced that the AirLens would be a step up as far as sound quality goes.  If I had to have another APP to stream Qobuz with the AirLens that would give me another reason to pause on the decision.  Thoughts, anyone?

@markmuse I do have the PS Audio MK2 DAC, that is the only reason I am even considering the purchase.  I would be able to finally use the i2s connection with this thing, according to Paul that does wonders for the sound.  The only thing in my system that is not PS Audio is the streamer, speakers and cabling.  I know PS has a great return policy, but I just hate to send stuff back and would rather be reasonably sure the purchase will be worth it before I pull the trigger on something.  They have a pretty good sale going on right now, until the end of the week I think, so I have a few more days to think about it.

@markmuse 

I just don't know that I am going to get any better than what the N20 delivers, so that is my biggest reason for the pause.  I did try to A-B the difference in the sound by comparing the internal storage on the N20 to streaming Qobuz through it and I thought it was pretty much a wash.  About half of the songs I used for the comparison sounded better from the storage while the other half sounded better using Qobuz, and the difference to my ears was not enough to go out and spend more money on, unless I can get Qobuz to sound better.  Just so happens that you brought up the topic, so now I get to pick other's brains to see what they think.  Of course I have been asking the guys at PS lots of questions also.  I don't know, I am not sold yet but 400 bucks off right now has me thinking.

@lalitk 

You are probably right and I probably will, my curiosity will more than likely win out as usual.  I don't stream that much but with the availability of so much music on Qobuz that may change.  I have been trying to avoid Roon, my Aurender doesn't support it, but that may likely be something to try also.  Oh well, if it doesn't sound any better than the stream from the N20 I can always send it back.  Thanks for the input.

I am trying to learn as much as possible about Roon but I am a little confused about how it works. Can I just download the Roon software to my laptop or tablet and stream Qobuz through that, or do I need a Nucleus in order to use it? I just read a note on the PS website that you can stream Qobuz through the Airlens, but they only mention though Roon. If I can do this with just a software download I may do it, but if I have to also get a Nucleus I will probably just pass on the whole thing. Streaming Qobuz is the only reason I am even considering the Airlens. I have to admit, the comparison with the N20 would be interesting.

The whole you need Roon in order to stream Qobuz through the Airlens is probably a deal breaker for me.  I have posed this same question to PS but have not heard back from them yet.  I guess I will just have to be happy streaming Qobuz through the N20.  I am pretty happy with the Aurender Conductor APP but I may check out JPlay though.

@lalitk 

I did read something about Aurender getting Roon, just don't know when that will happen.  My concern is the Airlens will only be a marginal improvement over the N20 that it would not be worth the investment, or the cost of yet another subscription.  I have really just tried to avoid Roon all together, Qobuz and a way to stream it is all I really need, I already have that with the N20.  Even if Aurender does get Roon I probably won''t buy into it.

@markmuse 

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Airlens when you get it up and running, thanks again for the input everyone.

@dickieboy 

That puts things into a whole new perspective, for me at least.  I may be back in the game if that is correct.