Help with Meridian 518

Please share how you use the 518 to optimize your stereo system.

I recently added 518 to my system in place of my preamp. The 518 lets me connect my dac to my amp directly. This resulted in a much smoother and transparent sound. However, there are other functions on the 518 that are not used optimally.

I fudged around with the Emph/Deemph, different noise shaping algorithms, and the input/outbut bits, but they all sound the same to me on my system. I know for a fact they do alter the sound, for an old client had one, and he transported steisand into his living room with a mere touch of a button.

My setup:
Cal Audio Delta-Meridian 518-Cal Audio Sigma-Aragon 8002-Kef 103/4
Argent speaker cable, Emerald between amp and dac, and mapleshade between trans/518/dac

Thanks ahead of time.
viggen

Showing 2 responses by glaucon

One more thing...

Make sure you're operating the 518 as close to unity gain as possible, i.e., 87. When I first used my unit, I could only go up to 72. The sound was great, but I didn't realize how compromised it was until I had resistors installed into the inputs of my amp, and was able to get up to the 80s. Heaven!

Remember, you lose 1-bit of resolution for every 6 db decrease.
(1) You are losing exactly 4 bits of resolution (out of a theoretically possible 16) - that's almost the sonic equivalent of listening to an AM radio built into the stomach of a plastic teddy bear.

(2) The resistors (10db in my case) are Vishay. It sounds like you're going to need 20db ones. BTW, this mod will void the warranty on your amp.

(3) The reason you don't hear a difference between PREEMPHASIS and none is that your CAL Sigma has a digital demphasis circuit (I use this very DAC for my Home Theater system). Preemphasis only works with with analogue circuits (which means it won't work with ALL of the newer DACs out there). When it does work, it makes a HUGE difference.

Hope this helps...