Help with a Technics SA-EX140

1.  New member, geezer, non technical. non audiophile.  😳  Most of this a mystery to me but I like music.

My Technics SA-EX140 is 8 Ohm as are the Polk RT55i speakers.  I can hook up a 2nd  "B" set of speakers.  Can I use a small set of Onkyo 4 Ohm speakers for this channel.  I do not believe I can run the A & B channels simultaneously so maybe use the B set for TV music programs on PBS or the like.

Panasonic does not have any info any longer on the 20+ year old product.

Would there be a problem in mixing my Ohms?

Than you,

DH

suzukizone

you are correct, it is speakers A OR B, never A+B, so never a combined load.

the rear label says 8 ohms (no mention of 4 or 6, just 8).

Remember, a 'nominal' 4 ohm speaker may dip to 2 ohms, that would be even more 'beyond the limits'. find out what you can about the full impedance curve of those 4 ohm speakers you have.

you can try a pair of 4 ohm speakers, try at 50% full volume, no more. 

enough sound? ok, a 'safe risk' (a lovely contradiction).

not enough sound at half volume, a bad risk.

taking a 'safe risk'. how do you keep someone else pushing the volume knob too far, which could push the amp too far.

or having the volume up high while using A speaker's which are 8 ohm, perfectly normal: then you or someone else, without noticing the volume setting, switching from A to B, bang, boo boo boo hoo.

IOW, B set 4 ohms speakers might work, but would always be a risk.

Thanks elliottbnewcombjr. Still digesting your sage advice.  Caught up in tax prep so no rush.  May have a link to a Panasonic tech line that could have advice on this specific to my amp.  Letcha know.  Appreciate all that info.