Help on ancient Audionics CC-2s

Hi folks. I'm a fringe dabbler in audio---now stick to mostly entry-level, as I got cured of my audio addiction after working with Keith Yates Audio and Levinson gear in the 80s, discovering I would never stop, stop, spending or experimenting, so I quit, cold turkey. Yikes.
However, I recently picked up two of my favorite blasts from amp pasts,
Audionics CC-2s for about 99 bucks each, plus shipping, plus whatever repairs/ mods I need. Want to run them in a bi-amping situation. I'm not audio e.e. savvy to do myself---but have an excellent repair shop in my town with folks hip to Audionics, complete schematics, etc. Amps work (one output transistor replaced) but may want new caps. Any suggestions? Black Gates? Thanks much!
professor50
I have the manual on how to run them in mono bridge if you’re still interested.
I have my old friend, bone stock CC-2 running the Totems in our sunroom. One if not the first low TIM amps….

I just (6-13-23) picked up a second CC-2 on eBay for $70 to my door, and found bridging instructions somewhere online but can not find that source now. For each speaker of a 2 channel system you connect the + speaker wire to positive terminal of Channel A on the amp and the - cable to the negative terminal of Channel B. (this necessitates stripping the pos. and neg. cable wires back a good 8 to 10" to reach opposite corners of the CC-2 for each speaker. Then use the Channel A RCA input for that Channel from the preamp. This means both amps are connected exactly alike with the only difference being that one pair of leads is from the left speaker and the other is from the right speaker. I hope this helps. BTW, I  completely love these amps bridged, both driving my Martin Logon EM ESL's  Bob

Hi there folks, old Audionics hand here.

First off, replace all electrolytic caps, both large and small. Electrolytics have a finite lifetime, and modern ones are more compact, more reliable, and quite a lot better sonically. The CC-2 was designed in 1977, after all. We used the best we could get then, but they are horrible by modern standards. Something as basic as Nichicons are far better.

I have mixed feelings about using bridge mode. There’s no free lunch here ... you get twice the voltage, but only half the current. In other words, that 8-ohm speaker now looks like a 4-ohm speaker to each section of the amplifier. Worse, a 4-ohm speaker now looks like a 2-ohm speaker, and I can guarantee you that the CC-2 will not like that one bit. If you want 2 channels with total separation, just use two amps with one half silent (short the input on the unused channels).

If memory serves, there are some blue tantalum caps in the signal path. Those are very undesirable sonically, but in our defense, nothing was published on cap sonics back then. If there’s room, replace them with modern film caps.

@rwwear Thank you very much for posting this! I, too, owned an Audionics CC-2 and the BT-2 preamplifier that I enjoyed for more than twenty years before the CC-2 died one day in a spark and puff of smoke when I turned it on. Even though I lived in a high-tech town at the time (Ann Arbor, MI) there was no one who could bring it back to life.

Your post inspired my recollection of more treasured memories from my early audio days. Audionics first came to my attention in a review of the CC-2 published in Volume 1, Number 5 of The Audio Critic, a very influential (and controversial) journal during its day. There still has never been another like it. For any who might be interested the entire library of TAC may be downloaded free at:  Downloads (biline.ca)  

The Audio Critic remains a worthy read, entertaining and highly educational with some of the first published writings on issues that continue to rage today.

Objectivists vs Subjectivists anyone? Measurements? Questionable and highly suspicious commercial media reviews? Start here. Also, uniquely valuable are the many letters and interviews from and with some of the founding technologists in this field, some of the true OGs!

Thank you again!