Help me pick a Dac

Budget 4000

I currently have the latest version of the Bluesound Node and a PS Audio Stellar Gaincell Dac for the digital Frontend. I stream qobuz and flac from a networked drive.
The rest of system is a Backert Lab Rhumba 1.3 , Schiit aiger monos and Zu soul 6 speakers. Also have a Nottingham horizon turntable, Hana cart and Lehman Cube phono pre. I think the modest tt sounds more natural and holographic compared to my digital frontend so I think I can do better.
Also I’m pretty isolated as far as audio goes so I’ve only heard my own system and likely will have buy without an audition.

Stu

stu20

Showing 2 responses by adg101

Owned an ARC CD2 years ago and was very familiar with the DAC 2 and 3 which was a tube DAC. I would be really surprised if the old ARC DAC 2 is going to better your current DAC. I own a Bluesound Vault 2 and for the money it’s good. I would explore a better streamer first. If you have a CD player with digital out try that into your DAC and compare to the Node. The CD or Blueray player as transport is likely going to show you the Node is good but you can do better. 

As far as the older Audio Research  CD2 I owned, I sold and went with a Cambridge 851C which is a far better player. I use both the Bluesound and Cambridge into my DAC and the Cambridge is noticeably better. I just picked up a Airlens which I haven’t thrown into my system yet so we’ll see how it does. 

@pwerahera Back when I had my CD2 - purchased new, My Dad had the CDT1 and DAC 1. To our ears my CD2 was better, more open where the DAC1 was pleasant but did not have the resolution or bottom end of the newer player.

I used to work part time at a store that carried ARC so I knew those pieces fairly well. We also carried CAL, California Audio Labs, and we all felt the little Alpha DAC more than held up to the ARC DAC’s of the time for a heck of a lot less money. Hate to say it, but back then by far the brand we sold the most for DAC’s was EAD, Enlighten Audio Design. My CD2 was a nice player but compared to the much newer at the time, Cambridge it was a much bigger improvement.

I’ve not listened to the PS Audio Gaincell DAC, but I do own a Direct Stream MK1 and I would bet the Stellar can probably hold its own. I definitely know how the Bluesound sounds, both on its own using the internal DAC and using only as a streamer. I use a Nordost Silver Shadow SPDIF, and a custom power cable so I’m getting pretty good sound out of the Bluesound.

My system is down at the moment as I’m moving things around so I’ll report back on the Airlens I recently picked up which I will be running I2S between the two.

@stu20 I would hope you’re using coax out and not toslink? If you are running toslink, I would make that change first. I’m guessing you probably started running your Node direct before you added in the Gaincell? Would think you heard a noticeable difference there. When I first purchased my Vault I ran it direct to my preamp which was ok, but then went into my Cambridge 851C which has digital in and it was clearly better. Later I had a RME ADI2fs/Teddy Pardo which was a big step up. Power cables make a difference on my Vault so try that too if you haven’t on your Node. As mentioned it will be interesting to hear how the PSA Airlens compares to the Bluesound.

Lastly if you’re running single ended RCA IC’s maybe experiment with balance from your DAC to Preamp. I bet you’re already doing that,  it if not give it a try.