Help me choose a speaker match for my Line Magnetic 805ia tube amp under $10K

Since all of you were such a huge help in getting me to arrive at my decision to get the Line Magnetic 805ia tube integrated, I thought I would start another thread to discuss speakers to consider. I do love my Ascend Acoustics but after hearing the improvement that the Line Magnetic gave my system, I am wondering now if there is a reasonably priced but a better speaker that is a better match for my system. The only criteria is that the price be equal to or less than $10k. I am looking for a speaker that is not harsh in the higher frequencies but still has enough sparkle and snap that doesn't give up anything in terms of detail. The ability to deliver some low end, dynamic punch is something that I would be looking for as well as this is the one area the Ascend's lack in currently. 

My current setup is...

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with RAAL Tweeters and Ascend Acoustics Center Speaker with RAAL Tweeter
Amp: Line Magnetic 805ia at 48W x 2
DAC: PS Audio Directstream Junior
Primary Music: Jazz and Female Vocals 

Speakers that I have considered so far include (power requirements notwithstanding):
  • Magico A3
  • Dynaudio Contour 60
  • Focal Sopra 2
  • Sonus Faber Olympica 3
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
freesole

Showing 10 responses by shkong78

LM805 is very similar to LM508 except it bypass pre input tubes to be used as power amplifier.

Although LM805 has very deep and powerful bass with 48W, it still need to be mated with high efficiency speakers at least 90db/W to play Jazz with realistic volume.

Thus I would exclude Magico and Dynaudio.

Dynaudio is very power hungry. It will be worst match.

I had listened to several models of Focal speakers, not Sopra2.

But they have lot of things in common, clean and sparking treble out of beryllium tweeter. tight and powerful bass.

But Focal speakers are also power hungry despite the spec of 90db/w.

Sonus Faber which is more refined and suitable for classical music is also power hungry.

If you do not play loud, Focal or Sonus Farber may work with LM805.

You can also consider used Piega 60.2.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis96ce8-piega-classic-60-2-trades-accepted-reduced-full-range

It also have sparkle with higher efficiency.

I had listened to other model of Piega in Audio Show.

They gave very refined treble with tight and tuneful bass (not very powerful like Focal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79po0jiM_wc

If you like Jazz, you may also consider Pure Audio Project speakers with high efficiency.

I was also tempted to get one of Pure Audio Project speakers as second system.

One more choice is DeVore O/96 which works well with tube amplifier.

@ soundsrealaudio

none of the above..........seriously

I agree with you that 4 listed speaker may not be suitable for low powered SET amplifier.

I think Tekton Design Speakers are also power hungry with many drivers.

Their specified efficiency are likely to be exaggerated too.

Thus they may not be suitable for low powered SET amplifier either.

Tekton Design Impact Monitor’s frequency response in the farfield, and an Earthworks QTC-40 for the nearfield responses. My estimate of the Impact’s sensitivity was 87.5dB(B)/2.83V/m, considerably lower than the specified 94dB. (Speakers with true sensitivities greater than 90dB tend to be rare and expensive.)

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker-measurements#k5gt1FV6ml...

@geek101

I agree with you  in that speaker with active bass will be better match for SET.

My Lansche 4.1 works well with LM508 for the reason.

@freesole

http://www.stereomojo.com/Onix%20XCD-50%20and%20XIA160%20review/XCD-50ReferenceCDPlayerReview.htm

I keep VAUGHN CABERNET SPEAKERS just in case plasma tweeter of my main speaker Lansche 4.1 have problem .

After updating plasma tweeters 3 years ago, it had no problem since then.

VAUGHN CABERNE has a 93db/w efficiency and work well even with SET.

If you want, I can let you audition the speaker at your home for 10 days.

I am located near Burlington WA.

Thomas

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis96gda-lansche-audio-no-3-floorstanding-speaker-like-new-reduce-...

If you do not play loud you can consider above.

It is smaller model than mine but you can experience pristine treble out of plasma tweeter.

Jazz vocal with LM 805 will be fantastic.

I can not find review of Lansche 3.

Thus I will put a link of review of 4.1 to give you more information about plasma tweeter and it's mid range driver.

http://stereotimes.com/speak112410.shtml

Also it has a beautiful finish with good WAF.
@freesole

Although LM805 or 508 appears to have lot of power compared with other SET, they have limitation.

I could play my Lanshe 4.1 with 100w Rogue Cronus Magnum II loud in my spacious listening room for 5 years with no problem at all.

But after playing loud with LM508, power tube popped up leading to failure of diodes one week ago.

Thus it is undergoing repair.

After that incident, I bought used Lyngdorf 2170 which will be delivered on coming Thursday.

I am considering two track strategy, that is, to play loud rock or orchestral music through Lyngdorf 2170 and to play vocal or chamber music through LM508.

If you are going to use LM805 you have to find efficient (at least 93db/w ) speakers which are not power hungry.

The 4 speakers you listed and Tekton Design speakers are power hungry requiring at least 100W or more to play at concert level.

Watersalas switched from LM 508 to Lyngdorf 3400 for driving his Tekton Design speaker.

I fully understand it.

Even my Lansche 4.1 speaker appear to need more power than that provided by LM 508 in my spacious listening space with high vault.

If you want to use 48W SET amplifier, you have to find right speakers.

@freesole,

If you have a full day open you can drop in Ferndale before lunch time.

Then you can drop at my home which is 40 min down to listen to Vaugn Cabernet and Lansche speakers.

My LM508 is going under repair, thus if you are serious, you shall bring your LM 805.

Otherwise I will use my Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Telefuken 12AX7 and Amperex 12 AU7.