HELP B&W 802D or Revel Ultima Salon2

Hello everyone. I'm anticipating a speaker upgrade in the not too distant future and I would appreciate any experienced opinions. I have had the opportunity to audition the 802Ds at my local dealer twice in the past week. I can get a pilomotor erection (hair standing up on arms, chills, etc.) even now simply by remembering the experience. Quite an improvement from my current Mythos ST setup. I've finally experienced some of the things I've only read about up to this point!
Now I have to wonder how good it can get at this approx. price point. I've read the reviews on the Ultima Salon2s and wonder if I might be even happier with these.
(I do realize I would need additional amplification to properly drive them)Unfortunately none of the Revel dealers in the Dallas area have any available for audition.
There exists an opportunity to purchase a lightly used pair for about the same as a new pair of 802Ds.
I would especially like to hear from anyone who has experience with both.
Thanks to all in advance.
francodanco

Showing 8 responses by nab2

Same price point? I have not heard them (of course this is a thread on B&W 802d's vs Revel Ultima Salon 2's).

I doubt if I'd be able to get over the cabinet - I know my wife couldn't. She said that the 802's looked "alien."
I'm planning on selling the 802 diamonds. I haven't sold anything yet. I tend to buy on Audiogon etc. and then hold 'em because I'm too lazy to pack stuff up and advertise. I'm sort of like a pawn shop that buys and never sells. The foam packing on the base of one of the B& W speakers was cracked and I need to get a replacement before shipping. What a pain.

Around here I have to basically buy speakers to demo them. I live in central Georgia and no place around here will carry high end (even Atlanta doesn't have much as far as I can tell).
Quick response. I've had both sets of speakers in my home for a few months so I could choose between the two. IMO and in my listening space the Revels Salon 2's are the best speaker. I've always had a soft spot for the B&W's, but in an A/B comparison with my equipment, my room, etc. the Salon 2's really beat them. It only took me so long because I like the B$W's and couldn't believe it. Now please, B&W people don't come out of the woodwork and beat the snot out of me. It's my ears, my place, and my equipment. Of course I've had several folks I respect also listen to the the A/B comparison and reach the same conclusion.

As for why one should compare the 802d's rather than the 800d's to the Salons, it's because the price point is closer in the used market. The B&W's retain a higher resale value (and are not discounted as highly initially) consequently the comparison in price in the used market is between the 802d's and the Revel Salon 2's. In the used market the Salon 2's fall between the 802d's and the 800d's. Depending on condition and market etc.

One last thought: the Revels want lots of power to really shine and I'm now going to have to upgrade my amplification (when I do, if I still have the B&W's I'll do another A/B, but it looks like the B/W's will be on the market at Audiogon soon).
PS. I'd echo much of what Irvrobinson wrote in his post on 1/7/11.
As an aside: My room is quite large with lots of glass and the current setup is less than ideal with both speakers. I think any speaker with an ideal room setup for that speaker can make a huge difference (I have a pair of Medowlark Herons setup in another place and the room is nearly perfect for them). What I'd really like to do is demo both sets of speakers in a "golden cube", but that'll have to wait until I win the lottery.
I have the 802 Diamond. No doubt about it - it is a great speaker. Part of the issue is taste in speakers, B&W is hard to beat for midrange and high's, but I think it is because I like the coloration of the speakers in those ranges. Let me re-iterate something I think I said before: I think room configuration has a lot to do with which speaker shines.

IMO the Reveals are more accurate (particularly with bass) than the 802's and the high end is still great (B&W might beat 'em slightly in the midrange (but I think this is preference over accuracy) - I need more listening time, but had to take one pair down). When it comes to bass the B&W's have a bit of "boom" to them compared to the Revels.

Having said that I must add that I am now compelled to upgrade my amplification to drive the Revels better. The B&W's were happy, the Reveals are not (well they are satisfied, but could use a bit more excitement). Ahhh, I wish I were young again (but with money), now I'm old - with old ears and a fat wallet. Oh well . . . .
OK I'm late in - I have had both in my home for awhile and I've tested them with my equipment in an A/B format (less than ideal room though). IMO the Revel's win the contest. Only downside for me is that I think I need to improve my amplification for the Revels ("improve" really means "more power" - OK not just any power). The Revels really like lots of good power. I've had several folks whose ears I respect, do the same comparison and they all chose the Revels over the 802d's (without my prompting).

I'll be selling the 802ds shortly, hate to let them go. I still like 'em, but I need the money. I'm planning on building a "listening/man shed" and I'd like to see how they both do with more perfect acoustics, but in my room (with various speaker placements)and with identical equipment the Revels won the contest.

I wish I could test them both some more and in the acoustic shed, but my WAF is really low at this point and the testing was tough to manage (I had to do it when the wife and 4 kiddos were gone!).

Interested in any other comments you guys/gals have.
Jeff you are accurate on your description of the B&W's, but part of your response to the Revels may be a function of amplification and/or the room. In my room (and it's a big one with high cathedral ceilings) the Revels seemed to me to have a more accurate low end (less “distortion” and forward presentation) than the B&W’s. They have a real "clarity" overall. I do like the “warmth” of the B&W’s though. No doubt. I wish I had a better descriptive vocabulary in the context of describing sound. Sometimes I feel like a person who like fine wine but who cannot express it. “This Chardonnay has the aromas of toasted oak and hints of vanilla.” Uh what? It tastes really good. Both of these speakers sound really good and it may be with a different room configuration the B&W’s might beat the Revels. When I get my man-shed (listening shed) built I’ll know more (but my ears might be shot). I'll sell the B&W's before that project is completed.
Hey Jeff, if you interested in the 802d's email me. And we can talk "offline" Email is nbeadles@charter.net. Couldn't figure out a way to contact you directly in Audiogon.

P59teitel: thanks for the link - I will read up on it. I still won't have confidence in my opinions even though it is a good starting point. The Revels do have less coloration (in my opinion) and a wide sound stage. The highs are clear and cohesive without being too forward. I would say they were ruthlessly accurate. They are like a woman with very little makeup. If the original recording is good it will sound good,if not then not. The speakers "reveal" that fact; they do not "mask" the sound.