Hegel h590 or Accuphase e460 with Harbeth 40.3

Narrowing my search for an integrated to replace my 17 year old Jeff Roland Concentra 2.
Opinions on these options would be appreciated.  I’m intrigued by both and have no way to demo before purchase.
yashu

Showing 5 responses by beppep

If you listen a mix of music genre leave Hegel is too sweet sound and no grip on bass, low dynamic, for voices and jazz ok but for me is over estimated product there is much better out for Harbeth.
I have same speakers, but 40.1 version. Well Harbeth need wattage, I can tell you I owned as well 30.1 before. I had satisfactions only from 250w on, need to get something with grip or the bass will sound too sweet and not fast as the driver is. At the moment tried with class d and give a good speed 
@arafiq don’t need to apologise, is all right :) people have different music taste and unfortunately an amplifier can sound totally different with a different speaker and sometimes is very frustrating to take advices without doing a demo :/
Low dynamics' with Hegel, this poster is a joker! well calm down Arafiq, I just expressed my opinion after listening the 360 with my old Harbeth, do you own Harbeth? If not then don’t comment on the match, I used to live in Uk and listen all the Harbeth release since two decades I know how Harbeth sound. I tried in the past many amplifiers mono or integrated, the only who gave me a British touch was Naim if you like the touch, or home sound. Low wattage ampli is not good match for Harbeth even small ones, here we talk about 30cm woofer and needs wattage and is physics. Harbeth a not difficult to drive but no high sensitivity, 6ohm, 88db i well remember. Then Hegel 590 I never listen but only small brother 360 and was just decent on 30.1 not driving well the 40.1. The Hegel is too sweet to match with Harbeth for my personal music taste, Harbeth tend to be very very focus on up mid and with Hegel is to add sugar in honey for my point of view, same with tube amp that don’t have grip on bass. To make sound Harbeth well for my music taste you need a power amp with no sonic fuzz or particular home sound . Class d can be a good direction as I am taking now after have owned a Mc8900 350w, but really a clean power amp and good pre amp. Those speakers were meant to be studio monitor and pretend to be super accurate, new technology in driver surpassed from technical point of view but quality of Harbeth in terms of sounds and engaging can match speakers much more expensive 
For instance Harbeth P3esrs is a totally different product, small cabinet and great sound and great dynamics for the size. Super HL5+ is again different to Harbeth 40, has super tweeter and is fantastic for rock music and blues very engaging but not for every type of music but not same driver than 40 so in this case a rounded and sweet amplifier can help. Harbeth 40 should be your final speakers if you follow what Harbeth ltd say but of course is not. There are weaknesses as well there but the Seac driver can play same level of old sonus faber of 25k and more, incredible how refined are in high. If you want the full orchestra with control, separations, attack and low end those are not the right speakers and no ampli does the miracle, for the other genre ok, blues jazz classic rock ok, new wave, post punk, modern rock, synth need grip and dynamic and a neutral powerful SS, no for disco music for sure, very good for vocal. If you want coloration on distortion on certain octave then add tube but only in pre amp.