Heavy Vinyl

I did a search and see that this hasn't been discussed in quite a while. Heavy vinyl is touted as being better for sound quality. I wonder about this. For a start, it is more susceptible to warps and particularly those short duration warps that really give the cartridge a hard time. Second, in my own listening across a fairly extensive record collection, I'm not hearing any particular sonic revelations from heavier records. I'm more inclined to believe that the critical factor is the quality of the vinyl  and the stampers used rather than the thickness of it. Other thoughts?

128x128yoyoyaya

Showing 2 responses by relayer101

I have a decent collection of early pressings of albums from the 1960’s to the 80’s and would estimate less than 1% are warped. But I have also come across very few 180 gram that are warped.

As far as sound quality I believe most of my older pressings sound either superior or equally as good as replacements I have purchased thar are 180 gram. I will say that there are a number of remasters on 180 gram that do sound fantastic.

sound quality has a lot to do with who the mastering engineer was and who cut the laquers and plates and where the albums are pressed.

i agree with the statement that I have come across many more new pressings with ticks regardless of LP weight than I have on the older pre 1990 pressings.

There are a number of record companies that still produce all analog pressings from the original tapes. Analog Productions is one of them and I have found everything that I have purchased from them to be of very high quality with excellent SQ. With that said even with MoFi having a digital step in their process most of what I have purchased from them is also excellent. That goes for a number of other manufacturers also.

My comment on 45 RPM records is that while the SQ can be exceptional based on who manufactured it I prefer a well made 33 RPM version. Having to get up every 10 minutes to flip the record can sometimes kill my enjoyment.