Hearing Damage over 20khz?

I own speakers that produce in excess of 40khz, yet the human ear can only perceive 20khz.

If something is uncomfortably loud we can hear, we know to turn it down but what if the frequency is out of our audible range?

Is it possible hearing is being damaged by something we can't hear?

I have read reports of people having ears ring after using speakers that can go beyond 20k, but I don't know if it's due to the sounds produced below 20k or above or both.

It would be horrible to learn I was damaging my children's ears or mine without knowing it.
vintagegroove
The issue is not wether we can hear anything above 20khz, or wether this information is present in recordings; although, wether we can "hear" it or not is very much up for debate, given recent research. The real issue is how the absence of that information (above 20khz) affects audible information below 20khz.

Subharmonics, also known as undertones, are a very real part of the harmonic makeup of all music. They occur naturally as a result of the interactions (which can be quantified mathematically) between two or more fundamental frequencies, and it is an acoustical phenomenon that occurs at all frequencies ranges, including the "inaudible", above-20khz range. I remember playing flute trios in music conservatory, and being amazed by the appearence of a fourth, "phantom" flutist at certain points in a composition. At certain points in the music, due to the particular musical intervals being played, and the fact that the flute produces a relatively pure tone, a fourth tone would be generated below the lowest written tone, with every bit as much power and presence as the written tones; clearly audible to listeners as well as the players.

Why then, should it be difficult to appreciate that the removal of these harmonic interactions in the above-20khz range would have a significant effect on harmonic content in the audible range? The removal of a portion of this infinite "matrix" of harmonic interactions by the recording process would surely have an effect on perceived timbre, and spatial cues. And that is but one reason why our precious recordings will never sound quite like the real thing. I think we tend to underestimate the incredible complexity of music and acoustics, and miss the forest for the trees.
Actually, I'd be very surprised if most of us here could hear 16khz tones forget about 20khz.
Thanks for all of the input. I feel more at ease about the supertweeters on my KEFs with my kids around.

One thing is for sure, humans are exposed to many things today that we never were in decades or centuries past so the long term effects are difficult to predict.

Thanks again.
Frogman is right. This is exactly why analog sounds different from digital, and live instruments often sound sweeter. I have a piano in my listening room, and play acoustic and electric guitar (for over 45 years...boy are my fingers sore...) so my reference for live sound is right here. My girlfriend's Basset Hound (currently dead...the hound, not the g/f) couldn't handle my acoustic playing (even ukulele) but could sit with me when I listened to the stereo...why? I found this to be offensive and hurtful, but I think it explains something...not sure what...but something.