Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

Showing 13 responses by goofyfoot

@ghdprentice I have a highly thought of amp but still I'm under the impression that certain headphones/speakers match better than others and I can only afford one pair of headphones. But yesterday my car was totaled from a hit and run accident so now I need another car.

@fuzztone I like my Quads but I'm wanting more variety. As I'm sure you know, the Quads really shine with classical music but can be lacking with a lot of rock or pop. 

@larsman I've read a few reviews on the Focal Clear MG's and it seems like they've really made improvements over the original Clear's, one being detail. One thing I'm really wondering about the Focal's is whether or not the treble frequencies can seem weak or truncated?

I do have some time before making the purchase. I've got to clear some financial matters before I do anything. Hopefully my dealer might get a pair of the Clear MG's before then.

I’m sorry for not mentioning this but I am looking for a pair of open backed headphones. My understanding of the differences between the two may be mistaken but when I’ve had the chance to hear headphones at the dealer, I’ve preferred the open to the closed.

@big_greg so are you saying bass is noticeably lacking in the Sennheiser's? For the treble region, which would you say is easier to listen to?

@viablex1 Yeah, when the time comes, I'm going to make a request that my dealer have a demo pair to listen to before I purchase them.

@mattmiller what are the characteristic differences between the two? I was told the Focal have more bass but so far, that's as much as I know.

@tds3371 I'm not sure why you're saying the Sennheiser's are an acquired taste, could you please explain?

Here's the technical data for my amp but I'm not sure where the headphone plug fits into this;

Technical data (according to manufacturer):
Output power: 2 x 250W/8Ω, 2 x 450W/4Ω, 2 x 800W/2Ω
Total harmonic distortion: <0,02%
S/N ratio: >90dB (1W/8Ω)
Frequency response: 0,2Hz-500kHz (-3dB)
Input impedance: 10kΩ
Dimensions: 570 x 440 x 230mm (amp) + 2 x 460 x 320 x 160mm (power supplies)
Weight: 47kg (amp) + 2 x 32kg (power suppli

@yage I wanted to get away from planar headphones as I have Quad Electrostatic Speakers and wanted something different.

@viablex1 Could you explain what sounded objectionable. Were you using a preamp, headphone amp, etc...?

@ghdprentice I’m fine, a sore knee and neck but nothing serious, thank you.

Unfortunately, I am without a headphone amp and I’m reliant on the plug input on the front of my amplifier. However, I may enjoy good results regardless. If the Focal Clear MG’s require less power to drive but are still hifi sounding phones, that seems like a more hopeful option.