Headphone/Amp Combo for under $800

Hi All,

Headphone newbie here. I've bought a lot of hi-end audio equipment over the years, but never a set of phones. I'm looking for a neutral (free from boosted bass/treble) sounding headphone/amp combo for use mainly with music, and some TV. I listen to a vareity of music, including singer/songwriter, folk, rock, classical, acoustic, and jazz. I am willing to spend about $800 or so (maybe a bit more) for the combination. The amp will be fed from the line-out from a Tact RCS 2.2XP preamp (it doesn't have a tape-out) or possibly a digital out if the headphone amp has a D/A converter.

I've done a bunch of research, but is quite daunting and I don't have anywhere nearby to audition them. I don't know a lot about the different amps around and what are good headphone/amp combinations so thought I'd solicit opinions here. I definitely prefer a more neutral sound free from artificial bass spikes or elevated treble, which I find very fatiguing. I also would like a nice soundstage, and maybe and a mid-level presentation (not too forward or distant). I think I'd prefer around-the ear over on-the-ear phones, but am open to open or closed back. I am open to all the usual headphone suspects including Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado, Beyer, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback on headphone/amp combos that might qualify for the price point.

Thanks much in advance!
smeyers

Showing 2 responses by andrewdoan

Jax, I do not want to collect another Senn cans ( my HD 280 pro/ HD 595/ HD 650 still have not enought burn-in time yet) BUT the HD 380 seems to have a very high rating. What's your take on the HD 380 pro and the ATH-M 50? Are they all-around good for non critical listening or just hypes?
If you decide to go with the HD 650, J & R is the best place to shop, the current market price @ $499.00 is way overpriced. Talk to Alex @ J &R , he will get you a huge discount.

Also, Electronic Expo always has coupon that will save you from 20 to 30 %. I bought the Shure 440 for my son birthday for less than $70.00 including shipping.

The AKG 702 should not cost you more than $250.00 if you look hard enough.

The Beyer has along line of fans but their treble are kind of harsh that I need to avoid. I can handle the bright top of the AKG 702 but the Beyer sound house is way above my taste while the Senn is a bit colored and dark.

Just my 2 cents.YMMV,

Good luck.