HDCD vs the Newer SHM-CD, BluSpec, UHQCD, etc

Has anyone directly compared the early 1990s 20 bit HDCD format to todays 16 bit SHM, BluSpec, UHQCD, etc, improvements of Redbook?

I’ve been very happy with the audio quality improvements I’ve heard on the recent generations of CD improvements, via improved surface materials, internal materials and cutting/forming of the reflective mirrors which the laser reads. I’ve tried them all (I think? lol), but have been particularly disappointed with HDCD, an early ’90s format. Theoretically HDCD should be better, despite lacking the improved materials and manufacturing techniques of today’s SHM and similar CDs. Then I realized my Oppo 205 doesn’t decode HDCD, and I’ve only been listening to the standard Redbook 16 bit signal of the HDCDs I’ve bought (5 over the past few years).

Looking around I’ve noticed that there is a vast array of music titles available on the used HDCD market. So I’m wondering if I should get a second disc spinner from the used market just for HDCD’s, with the intent of dipping into the array of music in that format.

I’d greatly appreciate anyone’s thoughts, who has compared these source materials, before I just go out and spring for an HDCD player to find out if it’s worth it to buy more HDCD discs, rather than just stick with the improved 16 Bit formulas available today. With that, yes, I also have a decent library of DVD-A, SACD & Hybrid SACD... but that field is limited, and generally pricy. Thanks!

sfcfran

I have heard of MQA CDs.  Since I don't do MQA I can't comment further.

Not sure what you mean about "ripping Blue Specs....doesnt work".  Mine ripped fine.  However when I play the rips back through my server, and simultaneously play the disc into the same DAC, and switch inputs, I don't perceive a difference.  This isn't unblinded, but if I use to standard CD issue vs the rip, then I do hear the difference.  I conclude it is the remastering

@sfcfran 

With all due respect, if you haven't tried a Jays or equivalent, it's very doubtful you've ever heard how good redbook can sound.

@mahler123 What I was trying to explain is that HDCDs are 20bit but you can't rip them in 20bit, only 16bit.

Blu Spec CDs have smaller, more precise lands and grooves which allow them to sound a little better when played on a CDP but when ripped this doesn't seem to be noticeable.

You own experience seem to reflect this.

exceptthat the Blue Spec rips sound better than the red book or red book rips.  I just really didnt notice a difference between the Blue Spec spinning of an Oppo or a rip of the same