Has anyone seen this? A really beautiful turntable

I just got this email. I don't know if it's good or bad. It will definitely get the attention of anyone walking into your audio room. Does anyone own one? Joe https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/mag-lev-audio-f3121a62-bcd0-46e9-a32b-df70180d0f84?open=1&au...
128x128jnovak

Showing 3 responses by ct0517

mijostyn1,365 posts
11-19-2019 7:20am
Terry9, have a SOTA Cocmos and an SME 30/12 and no matter how hard I try I can not hear the bearing on either turntable. How do I know?

Audiophile Rule # 27

"One needs to remove the noise - before the difference can be heard"  

For your specific example both your SOTA and SME use conventional mechanical bearings. Bring into your room a turntable without a mechanical bearing - and you will hear.

^^
this table has been out for a while and the platter wobble defect is very obvious. I don’t think the target buyer cares or realizes the problems this causes. The record and cartridge are always the victims. If its no longer made I am not surprised.

mijostyn - Audiophile rule #27 is for idiots.

Sure mijostyn - firstly though.

mijostyn
1,365 posts
11-11-2019 10:34am
I am full of preposterous blanket wet noodle statements and totally politically incorrect which is intentional.

@mijostyn
Have you EVER  bothered to look under the covers of your mechanical bearing turntable ?  I mean at the acual thrust bearing? 

Tell me.

1) What happens when you change the viscosity of the fluid it rides in ?  The sound changes.

2) What happens when you change the material of the bearing itself ? - the sound changes.

Is this magic ? are you hearing things ? 
No. It's a vibration resonance hobby ....Mijostyn 

3) So what is going to happen when you eliminate that thrust bearing all together ?

Well -  could be good, could be bad - depends on the design. One thing for sure. It will sound different. 

My Car Buddies - since you bring up a Porsche. 

The funny thing to me is that my car buddies - who mostly think this Audiophile stuff is ..... well ......out there.

"All" of them GET the turntable bearing resonance vibration thing - and what is happening. Changing up of the fluid or the bearing material... 

The turntable thrust bearing design is instrumental in how the turntable will sound. It is in the TT's DNA sound.   

Anyway, this Mag Lev table can fix its platter wobble fairly simply - but it will lose some of its cool factor.