Has Anyone heard The Boulder 1021 CD player?

Recently saw pictures of this unit and read a brief description on their website. Looks impressive, but how does it sound. This is new territory for Boulder. I hear it was somewhere at CES.
Thanks,
bflowers

Showing 2 responses by richm

From Rich @ Boulder:

The unit doesn't ignore hi-res, but rather plays the hi-res formats that we're guessing are likely to still be around in the future. Sony has abandoned DSD (no new labels are picking it up and others are hanging onto it because manufacturing costs are low enough not to stop), and DVD-A is already dead.

Also, when we were doing testing on SACD/CD mechanisms, for whatever the reason, error rates for those drives were MUCH higher than dedicated CD or data retrieval mechanisms. When DVD reading capability was added, the already high error rates became even worse.

In the end, we had a choice to make: SACD capability with less accurate read capability and no future DVD playback or initial release with CD playback and no SACD capability. When we factored in that SACD likely has a finite life span, it became an easy choice.

We've recently been listening to some brilliant 24/176.4 kHz .WAV tracks from Harmonia Mundi on the unit, as well as some tracks we had mastered from analog master tapes at 24/96, and they're amazing. If I remember correctly (and I may not because it's been a while), SACD has an equivalent data rate of 24/88.2 kHz. I would wager that the 24/176.4 tracks would produce better sound quality against the equivalent SACD track if mastering choices were the same (the discs are available on SACD, though we can't listen through the same source electronics), and the 24/176.4 .WAV file format will be around for a long, long time in the future.
Hi Arthur,
From Rich@Boulder:

The 1021 does not have a digital input because it does not utilize an S/PDIF, AES/EBU or AES3 data stream anywhere internally. Practically all digital transports or sources output this type of digital format, with the exception of USB (which has other major issues, but that's another story). The 1021 processes the data from a CD or DVD in its native format and never attaches a clock signal to the data stream, meaning that there's no chance for jitter to occur. To put digital inputs on the 1021 would mean having to convert the data from S/PDIF or AES and would add a lot of processing complexity in addition to opening the door for jitter to infect the signal in a product that's already $24,000, so we opted against it.