Harbeth Owners which model?

I am looking to buy either a M30.1, SHL5, or M40.1. I owned a SHL5 in the past for about 3 years and totally enjoyed it and have regretted ever selling them. Since I sold the SHL5's a few years ago Harbeth has come out with the M30.1 and I wanted any feedback from anyone who has compared the 5's vs. 30.1? Anyone sell their 5's for the 30.1 and why? Lastly I am also interested in the 40.1's my room is 18 x 14 is that big enough to handle the 40.1?
bobheinatz
Hi Bobheinatz,

This is my take on how the 30.1's and SHL5's differ:

The 30.1 is more clear and more extended sounding. It is more accurate sounding and "tighter."

The SHL5 goes deeper and has more bass weight. Its top end is not quite as open and "airy" as the 30.1. It doesn't sound as tight, but the SHL5 seems to have more "bloom."

The 30.1 seems to be more revealing of the recording - but it does not exaggerate the negatives in a recording, nor does the SHL5.

They both are excellent stand-mount speakers and excel in the midrange. Both should work very well in your room size (but the 40.1 is probably too big and might be more difficult to place).

I hope this helps, and YMMV,

Vinnie
Please check out my question on Harbeth posted 6/27 in "speakers" category. I have not gotten any feedback. I think I should have posted it here. Thanks for any help.
I worked my way up through the Harbeth range via a very co-operative dealer who has subsequently (and happily, apparently) resigned the agency and settled on the SHL5 models. I then borrowed a pair of 40.1 speakers. Big, big mistake bass-wise. I hoped for everything the SHL5s did, or better, plus more weight to bass. I did in fact get this – but not in the way I expected.

The bass ‘bump’ I experienced made the 40.1 sound like an entirely disconnected ‘cinema’ subwoofer. Yes, the integration of the mid and top was magnificent and other than the Vandersteen 7 probably as good as I have ever heard from cones. But to me, in my room, using various transistor amps and at the volume I listen to, I just didn’t ‘get it’. I tried various cables, stands, hoped for divine intervention and so on, to no avail. A miserable experience. So I went back to the SHL5 with an ‘Underdog’ subwoofer. Absolute bliss for a fraction of the 40.1 offering.