Harbeth: HL Compact vs HL7 Compact

Harbeth fanatics, I need your help:

I fell in love with the good old HL compact. Heard them powerd by some GM 70 monos recently and must say I was blown away - absolutely agile, lively, transparent, beautiful tonality and lots of impact - looking at such a small cabinet.

Just can`t get them for an adequate price at the moment while a HL7 compact would be available but I live too far away for from the seller to hear them before I hit the button.

I tried to find a brief comparison between these models but did not find anything helpful.

How does the successor perform compared to the early HL? What are the main differences soundwise?

I`m happy for any assistance!

barrista0611

Showing 1 response by barrista0611

Thanks a lot guys!

The availability of the drivers really is an aspect I didn't have in mind.

Magical midrange - that's exactly what I'm looking for. So the magical question is which iteration to take. As far as I know the first model that had the Radial midrange driver was the HL7 compact. Which means the earlier HL compact didn't have it. I wrote an email directly to harbeth and they promised to get back in time. @dodgealum absolutely sure it you owned the HL compact? Their front was all black while the later HL 7' s corpus including the front was brown.