Hafler DH-220 monoblock vs stereo

I have a pair of Acoustat 1+1s and an RH Labs sub that I'm driving with a pair of Hafler DH-220s that each have the DH-202 Bridge Kit installed. (Yes, it's all *old* but it still sounds pretty good!) The other evening, I was chasing a gremlin and decided to swing the cables and switch one of the amps to stereo. I was astounded by the change in the sound. It was MUCH more detailed and "present" vs using both amps in monoblock mode. I figure I've gone from 350wpc or so down to the 120wpc of the single stereo DH-220 amp.

Why would there be such a change? And a rather postive one at that? 

The "downside" now is I'm thinking that if it sounds this good with only 120wpc, maybe I should start looking for that tube amp I've always wanted! BTW my pre is an ARC SP8-II.
Thanks!
128x128musicfan2349

Showing 3 responses by roberjerman

The Accoustat 1 + 1's have an impedance of 4 ohms at low and mid frequencies, falling to <1 ohm at high frequencies. A bridged amp will see a resistance of HALF of these impedances. Therefore DO NOT use a bridged amp with any speaker whose impedance falls below 8 ohms. Too much current draw from the bridged amp. If you want to hear an improvement in sound quality try using a single channel of each unbridged Hafler into a single speaker. 
I have a Hafler 220 in my collection. It is an excellent and fine sounding amp! No need to replace it!
Tube amps are a BAD choice for driving electrostatic speakers where the impedance at high frequencies is 1 ohm or less! Also a non-flat impedance curve from low to high frequencies makes them subject to Ohm's Law. Tube amps in general have output impedances of >1 ohm. So they will have a non-linear response into any speaker without a flat impedance.