Gryphon Diablo 300 vs Vitus RI-101

So I've been itching to upgrade my amp. I currently have: PS audio Directstream -> PS BHK preamp -> parasound JC1 -> Focal Sopra 2.
    I narrow down to these 2 candidates. Any one with experience with both int amps can comment on them?Thanks!!!
128x128btbluesky

Showing 12 responses by btbluesky

Frankly I have no complaints about the JC1 or the bhk preamp(it replaced a audio research ls27). But I'm just always curious about the uber top level neutral SS amp and what they have to offer; burmester, dagnostino, constellation, vitus, gryphon, dartzeel, soulution.... Nothing again class A warm sounding amp, but I want to try the highend ultra fast yet relaxing sound. The directstream is already smooth sounding, the sopra itself is smooth nothing like old focal forward sound. So I figure to get the best out of this chain is the fastest neutral amp I can get my hands on. And when looking at these top level brands, the 1 piece integrated is pretty good deal given their preamp separate pricing.

I wouldn't mind doing a 60k constellation preamp with a pair of dagostino momentum....when I win the lottery. But meanwhile, I want to see if I can get an int amp to test and see how it compares to my bhk+JC1. 
I understand. But even with dealerships, having completely different system setup/wires/frontend, it's not possible to discern the turn nature of an equipment with just an afternoon.
If someone have had experience with both (or the older RI-100), that'd be very valuable opinion to me.

I know the Vitus Sig class class A pieces are leaning to the warm side of the equation comparing to Gryphon. But the new 101, being class A/B, and had bump up the cap reserve to 216000, might just deliver more PRAT than gryphon. I don't know...
Geroge, that was actually pretty useful information with your mate's Wilson. 
Now, the fact that we are talking about the Alexia, its an extremely difficult load for any amp. The focal sopra 2 on the other hand is very easy load. With easier load speakers, a delicate yet dynamic amp might be able to beat a powerful amp. If we assume your mate's speakers are a pair of easy higher efficiency load, it might not take Antillion to beat the JC1 than, maybe diablo 300....

I LOVE my JC1, but I am not sure its the end game type of amp. Otherwise stereophiles Michael Fremer would be rocking them, instead of a pair of dartzeel monoblocs (~$150000).
@yyzsantabarbara

Thanks for your suggestion. But the AHB2 might be abit thin sounding combine with sopra. From the stereophile review:
" That's where I discovered that my new hero amp wasn't quite perfect. Oh, its power and resolution were still not to be faulted, but through a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers, the sound was somewhat hard and thin. "

For the Kaya 45, we'll see what preamp they use. With a alloy dome tweet, AHB2 might sound too lean. It's an amazing amp for it's price, but monobridged spec at 6ohm 480w, the sopra dip at 3-4ohm at ~100hz. It would not be better than JC1 stable at 2ohm. damping factor also way less than JC1.

I want a neutral grain free amp, but if I have to pick a side to to fall back to, of course it'd be on the warm side of things (thus the Pass labs X.8 series might work). For the upper echelon european brands, beside soulution, the rest are all categorized to be neutral with a hint of warmth.

They always sound better if they cost more.
I think most audiophiles do not believe this. I wouldn’t have gotten the JC1 if that were the case. If there are other int_amp/amp you believe can best these brands, please share.
The JC1 has 132000 microfarad cap reserve (at each side), and can do 135 amp peak, with damping factor > 1200. 25w of class A (at 8 ohm, so prob 50w at 4 ohm) to start, going 1200w stable at 2 ohm. If you have electrostatic, this is the top amp without equal I believe.

But there are different aspects of performance I’d like to explore. The grain free texture in high and mid, the soundstage, the immediacy related to PRAT. A burmester 911 has 160000 μF caps, and has damping factor> 10000 supposedly. Soulution 711 has 1,000,000 μF cap reserve. Same thing with the Vitus... so I just want to explore more with these brands by getting their entry level gears. And these are within the price range.

Personally I do not think Levinson amp being so much more expensive, is worth it for example. I have nothing against them, I just do not ascribe to their corporate believes.
@caphill 
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually was looking at naim, as I know sopra was voiced with them. But their 500 amp (never mind their statement stuff) is pretty pricy, plus they really have no present in US, and nobody have their gears.
The other made-in-US option I think is good would be pass labs, maybe their x260.8.... 
@caphill
Thank you for letting us know your experience with the Naim. But at 35k, the NAP 500DR is abit pricy, especially knowing that there is a statement amp up there.
@dpac996 For me at this price point, the gear needs to be able to do all the things any music demand. I used to have 3 system, 1 of them is all tube with SET amp and high efficiency speakers, and for jazz, chamber and vocal it was awesome, but didn’t pass muster for anything else. Nowaday with this main sys, I need it to do all genres, in the best, realistic way with a hint of warmth, and awesome PRAT. I know people have different priorities with their system, for me this is approaching end game system.
BTW, I forgot to mention, I have dual Rythmik F12G Direct Servo sealed active subwoofers (the one with paper GR research woofer), I sometime don’t know if they are on or not as they integrate with the sopra so well, only when the low freq passage comes, then I get scared the neighbors would complain as it gets down to 20Hz. Tight, well integrated. Don’t get the sopra 3, get the sopra 2 + these subs!

David,   No, I think alot of people who are looking at these 2 amps are also looking at the T+A as well. I've heard alot of good thing about that int amp.
   Let us know what you think, especially comparing to Vitus.CheersBryan
David,
     Wow, so the T+A edged out the pass combo? Was it by a big margin? What aspects to you that the int amp does better than pass labs?
Cheers
Bryan
Since Covid, I had alot of time to evaluate my system, and ended up with BOTH sia025 mki and a pass x250.8 . Now they both beat my old JC1 easily, but between them I had a hard time with. Both are extremely capable but in different ways, sia025 is just more neutral, reserve, more grownup sound but very smooth. x250.8 introduced me to the pass sound, so colorful, full of life, and wild but in a good way. I’m keeping both for now, but this is my observation. PRAT wise both are extremely close, with the advantage goes to pass as its a class A/AB amp. However, keep in mind that my system's goal is wanting to lean more closely to be neutral as I use the system with movies/TV as well.
I also got the pass XA25 for my bookshelf, now that’s a 2A3/45 tube amp substitute if there ever was one.

I haven’t post my journey for awhile as op.

So Originally I had JC1+ARC LS preamp. Alright, but the pre was giving too much gain, and ARC pre to me unless reference, it’s just low price/performance.

Then I got the BHK pre, was not expecting much, at first it sounded only decent to me, but seeing alot of people like it after tube rolling, got myself some new issue gold lion, wow....completely different preamp. Still leaned toward warm side, but very energetic and abit wild, loved it.

Then things got interesting; managed to get a SIA-025 mkI, buttery smooth, holographic presentation, does everything. Truly I can see why they say it’s the best int-amp in the world, tons of reserve power.

Covid hitted, moved to somewhere I have more space, manage to build another system, got a hold of a pass x150.8 to try out, wild pleasing sound, needles never moved no matter how much I cranked it up (meaning it never leaves class A, for X series). Put back the BHK, yes everything is in place. I will not say its better than SIA-025, but it’s such a interesting wild holographic sound, even watching chick-flicks with this sys is interesting.

Will never get rid of the SIA-025 tho, the sound is more polite, but smooth velvety and subtly beautiful.

This is just my SS stuff, I have a whole set of tube SET mess my SO hates going on the side as well......