Great bass amp SS for 15" 8 ohm woof 800hz max

I'm looking into biamping a speaker system. Using a 2A3amp on the top (800 Hz up on a horn) 2a3 has volume pots. Looking for recommendations for a great solid state amp to handle the the lower 800hz. It must match up with the 2A3 rich midrange. The woofer is 15" and is 98DB efficent.

Thanks
hicourt

Showing 1 response by audiokinesis

Hello Hicourt,

Apart from subwoofer applications, it really is important to match up the amplifiers as close as possible in a bi-amplified system. I have several customers who have tried solid state on bass, tubes on mids & highs in their systems, with mixed results. Most have gone back to using a single amplifier or biamplifying with identical amplifiers. It's hard enough to get two different drivers to blend seamlessly without driving them with differently-voiced amplifiers.

I can't think of very many solid state amps that might (just might) be a reasonably good match for a 2A3 SET amp. You might try Pass Alephs or the Accuphase A50, but I think you'd be better served by perhaps something like a 211 or 845 SET if you want more power in the bottom octaves. Then at least you could roll tubes to more closely approximate the voicing of the 2A3. You might ask the advice of your 2A3 manufacturer on this.

On the other hand, using a single high-quality large SET amp full-range and forgoing the 2A3 altogether would probably give you a more coherent presentation, and might (or might not) be better overall. Then you could switch back to the 2A3 for low volume listening (or sell it to finance the larger amp purchase).

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing - what driver & horn are you using on top, and what woofer for the bottom?

Best of luck to you,

Duke