Granite Audio Power cord 555

Hi,
I just wanted to let folks out there know the construction and therefore the cost basis of the cord above.
I had to take mine apart to lift the ground and was quite disappointed to fine some very cheap power extension cord
connected to some nice connectors. The prices below are for purchases of single units or for the purchase of very short lengths as in the case of the shrink tubing or polyester sleeving.
Break down:
Hubble Plug 12.50
Wattagate 320 IEC 24.50
Cable 50c/ft
polyester sleeving 50c/ft
shrink tubing $2.5 per/6' length
RFI/EMF torriods 25c
Contact conditioner???
The grand total here is...approximate $50. mostly for the connectors...50% for the wattagate which can be replace with the marinco iec for 12.50.
I know this because I have made this same cable. These are being auctioned off at "Quest for Sound" right now with a starting price of $250. Make it you self. For get everything but the connectors and cabble and you have a $40
$250-$500 power cord. By the way the labor is about 1/2hr.
Is the indicative of the markup on other Granite products?
%500 to %1000
nealb
That's ok,I can stand some more minuses. A thoughtful thread on this subject would not have a brand name as a title, nor singled the brand, within the thread. I don't own this brand;I own many others,so the construction of power cords in general is an interesting subject.
Don, I appreciate your well thought out statements on the subject at hand. I am in particular agreement with your comments on silver plated copper. From my experience, it simply sounds bad. I am curious as to your assertion that PTFE(polytetraflouroethylene, aka teflon) is corrosive to copper. From where are you drawing this opinion?
Nealb has informed us that the cable he owns is made up of a cheap conductor. Don Hogland has made no aurgument that is the conductor nealb mentioned. his aurgument is sound...safety and UL listing. See,Quest for Sound feed back,"Granite Audio 555 Power cord was just inexpensive Carol 14/3 wire +fancy plugs
2-24-01 Williame for a second opinion.
http://audiogo1.iserver.net/cgi-bin/classa5.pl?.
0&1&adlr&Questforsound&home&
The above confirms Nealbs assertion that indead the cable is inexpensive. See http://search.newark.com/part_detail.phtml?PART%5FID=250&VID=250&10005=04F3886 at $102.57/250' or 41c/ft. This confirm his price.

Even if the rest of his ramble is... just that RAMBLE, do you want to pay $24-48/ft for 41C/f cable?
I am a civil engineer who took electrical theory twice in college (and not because I enjoyed it so much the first time), so I can't really delve into electircal principles. You wanna argue about bridges, then we're on.

I do have good ears though. The granite power cord I bought from Quest for Sound about a month ago gave me tighter and deeper bass. I suspect I could have shelled out a grand for another type, but I do have my limits.

It improved the sound of my system. I got what I was looking for.

Did I pay too much? No, I paid what I was willing to pay.

Mitch
Graniteaudio - As you are professional line cord designers, I would appreciate any information you could provide regarding the testing proceedures you use to determine if one cord or design change is better than another.