Graham Phantom vs the Graham 2.2

Has anyone had the opportunity to make any accurate comparisons?
sirspeedy70680e509
I was able to hear the Phantom at a dealer back in November, but it was on a completely different system than mine (Maggies in lieu of my Sonus Faber Extremas), so I don't have a great frame of reference.
The detail was incredible, the sound staging compressed and not well delineated and the bass lacking. The sonics did not have much weight behind the notes. I blame the dealer's system for the drop off in sound characteristics compared to what I hear in my system. The detail was better than what I hear, but the sound stage and lack of weight was poor compared to what I get in my system.
Having said all of that, I was still impressed with the Phantom. I have a 2.2, which I really like (in part thanks to the help I got from your thread comments on damping fluid - thanks for that one).
I had listened to a new Tri-Planar and liked the improved attack, dynamics and Bass, but I am completely sold on a Schroder Reference.
I have heard the Schroder Reference on my system on my table with the same cartridge and was able to do an A/B against my Graham. I really enjoy my Graham, but the Schroder is just heaven in all respects. It does is all.
I also just heard a Schroder last weekend for the whole weekend on another system with a ZYX UNIverse with all types of music and I have never heard anything as magical or beautiful as that combination.
I have a two-armed table and was thinking of getting the Phantom. Now, I am definitely planning to get a Schroder Reference and would consider either the Phantom or the Tri-planar as the second arm.
It would be great to do an A/B of the 2.2 and the Phantom in my own system and I will if I get the chance and report back. The Schroder Reference, although a good bit more expensive than the Phantom, is well worth the price difference and in my thinking, could easily turn out to be the last tonearm you ever buy...it is that good.
Rgds,
Larry
Hi Larry,
if you would like something better than the Schroeder
Reference go for the Kuzma Airline.
This one plays in another leaque than the Schroeder
Reference.
I was also in the same situation and had the chance
to do check on both arms in my system. After that
I went for the Kurma Airline.
Rgds,
Karl-Heinz
Thank you,very much,for the fine feedback!I,too,am very interested in both the SCHROEDER and the AIRLINE.Here are my concerns though.As for the Airline,the feedback I've been getting from the preliminary press reports,as well as from my own audio friends tell me to expext this to be a sensational,and probably,final purchase.That being said,aside from the high price(and the fact that the 2.2 is way better than I'd previously thought,as I now really have inate knowledge of the effect of that DAMN DAMPING FLUID on the arm's performance)I just can't,at this time get around the fact that it will be a major pain in the tush to run the tubing and position,as well as deal with the pumps,compressors etc.But,BOY do I love to ponder the possibility of this arm becoming a reality in my system, at some future point.The SCHROEDER,also,looks to be a fine arm,only there seems to be almost a shutting out of any potential buyers,when it comes to being able to get any kind of exposure to it in the NY/NJ area.Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one.Last year at HE 2004 there was a Schroeder shown,but,not set up for music.What good was that?I aso don't know of any dealers that demo this,seemingly great arm,in my area,aside from the fact that good ANALOG dealers died out about 10 years ago.So what does someone like myself have to go on?The feedback on the NET!Which is great,but I'm not spending any money on something that is just so RARE.Also,the Schroeder is VERY PRICEY for a pivot.It may well be worth it,though,but I admit to being sceptical of that price.As for the Airline,It is also going to be almost impossible for me to audition,but,I have a dear friend that already has the FABULOUS Air Tangent arm,so at least I have a guage of the difference between a really good pivot and the INARGUABLE superiority of a well set up air bearing.SO,one could easily live with the 2.2,but I know how much better the Air Tangent is,and like pondering the posibility of other potential ENVELOPE PUSHERS,which I've narrowed down to the Schroeder,Kuzma Airline,and Air Tangent.On a system,like mine,which is extremely revealing and has a soundstage that I can,literally,walk into,I'm convincd that the best possible arm will yield greater and greater rewards.So the quest continues.Now,please pardon me!I have to go out and kill myself.
I have not heard the Kuzma nor the Air Tangent, so I can not be any help with comparisons.
I do know that the Schroder is well worth the price (as high as it is). I will make an effort to hear both the Air Tangent and the Kuzma, but it won't stop me from getting a Schroder. It is just that good. You will always be able to sell a Schroder in a heartbeat if some how you would need or want (not really a possibility) to sell it.
I don't expect you to make a decision to buy based on an Audiogon review, but do find a way to get to hear a Schroder. When I finally get mine, you are welcome to jump a plane out of Newark, La Guardia, or Kennedy and come down to Miami to hear mine. I will be the guy with the permanent smile on my face.
Rgds,
Larry