Good stand-alone phono preamp?

Need a good phono preamp for a high-output MC cartridge. Can't spend mega-bucks but want a nice, high-definition unit. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance. Associated equipment: BAT VK-5i MR RM-200 Magnepan 1.6QR LP12 w/ET-2 DV 20X
schnider8781
Thank you for all of the posts so far. I've heard that the Musical Surroundings Phonomena is a good unit. Anyone with experience on this one? Thanks in advance again.
i tried the musical surroundings unit,& it was a bit too dry for my taste. ask carl eber about his experience, tho - he thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. during my search for it, and its replacement, i heard a couple folks say the anthem p-10 was better than the m/s or the black cube. based on that, i'd try the aragon 47k, as it can be had for ~$450 new, and it's the anthem's bigger brother. i'm very happy w/the pentagon ps-1, but it's ~$1750 new - i got mine for $600 demo, cuz no one in the usa has ever heard of it, & the dealer wanted to make it go away... i've also heard the benz lucashek is nice, tho i've never heard it. for bargain-basement, i'd get a db-systems from jerry raskins s the needle dr. (or elsewhere?), yust based upon the sound of their active x-over - great electronics for little money. doug
Does anyone have experience with either the Audio Electronic Supply PH-1 (Cary) or the ASUSA PP-1? Both are available in kit form, tube based and use passive RIAA EQ. Thanks again.
no, but my experience w/their amps/preamps would encourage me to try one, if i found a good deal on something used - that way, ya don't take a bath if iy's not what ya want. there's a cary fono-staage f/a on audiogon presently...

doug

A real sleeper is the Michell Delphini. FWIW, Fremer chose the BASIC model as his 'second favorite' out of a half-dozen or so phono stages in a recent Stereophile. And the basic is NOTHING compared to the upgrade unit with highly regulated power supply. Unless you're dead-set on tubes, it's a major contender IMHO. Good luck and vinyl forever, -John