Good MM cart for AS-212s

Good morning all. I have a lot of time because of the California lockdown, so it's project time. 

I just got an Ortofon AS-212s for my Thorens 124. I'd like to get a good complaint matched MM cart that I can use with either my Luxman R-1070 or a Sony TA-5650. I have not used the phono stage in the 5650 yet and I am quite curious to hear what it's like since it used V-Fets. I am not sure what the gain is for it, but I would not like to use a SUT at this time because I would like to hear it unaltered. I already know that the phono stage on the Luxman in pretty good. Any suggestions would be helpful and the max budget would be $300 (although bargain giant-killers are favored ;)
enobenetto

Showing 2 responses by enobenetto

Raul, 

The Sumiko EVO looks interesting! It's output of 2.5 is what the referenced output of the 5650 phono stage. 

Thanks for all this great info!! I appreciate the mass calculation it makes things more clear.

I think the Nagaoka's or Audio Technica's look good. The AT's give me the most choice and seem to be in the range of compliance. I think trying to find a cart that is a little on the warm side will be a great match. The 5650 has triode like qualities but also can be very quick and detailed, so a little warmth won't hurt. 

I'm interested in the Pickerings but a little hesitant to get NOS stylus. Also, does the brush make a difference? 

High output MC's I usually would not shy away from, I enjoyed a Denon DL-110, but I'm concerned that they would be too strident, although that is a statement made naively. 

What about old Empire or Grace cartridges?