Good DAC for Home Studio

I'm new to DACs.  I just got a NAD C399 which comes equipped with a 32 bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC.  I'm just getting used to it in our living room with new speakers.  Everything sounds good.

I also have a home music studio with studio monitor speakers.  I would like to add a DAC to this equipment as well.  I've been testing out a Schiit Modi 3+.  It sounds OK, but not as good as the 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC.

I realize that the sky's the limit on good DACs.  I'm just wondering if there are any good mid priced DACs I should be considering for the home studio.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks!

pacificm

So the Schiit Yggdrasil at $2,299.00 is a budget DAC, even though the OP selected the Modi 3 at $129.00 as his first option?

As Marie Antoinette said. "Let them eat cake."

I started out testing the Schiit Modi 3+ because I saw reviews that said it was the best value for the money.  The $2,299 Yggdrasil is beyond my budget.  My budget is more in the $1,000 range.

Above, the Gungnir is mentioned.  I've found it difficult to locate - even on the Schiit site or learn much about.  Any more information about it anyone might have?

Thanks!

@pacificm 

With a $1,000 budget I would suggest looking at the Denafrips Ares II.

Lots of great reviews available everywhere.

@pacificm Wrote:

Above, the Gungnir is mentioned. I’ve found it difficult to locate - even on the Schiit site or learn much about. Any more information about it anyone might have?

It’s discontinued! Look at the Bifrost.

Mike