Getting started on vinly - new/used setup for 500

I am ready to get back into vinly and want to get started with a MM set-up, that is new or used for $500 or less. I don't want anything too complicated as this is mostly for fun. In other words, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time on upkeep. My integrated will have a MM phono board. Suggestions? Thank you,
pardales

Showing 2 responses by twl

You might be able to find an Ariston RD-11S at around 500 used. May times they had a Grace 707 or a Linn Basik tonearm put on them. They are similar to a Linn table and sound almost as good. They are a suspension table and need to be set up, but it is probably as good a table as you can get for that amount of money. Buy a new cartridge, they are often used up or damaged when they come with a used table.
There is an ad right now here on Agon that lists a Connoiseur BD102 turtable with arm for $145 obo. This is a good British entry level belt drive AC motor turntable. We used to sell them as the basic TT in our high end shop. Not as good as Rega, but better than anything under $250. They work very well with a Goldring cartridge and a "Platter Matter" or deadening mat helps too. Not well known, but good sound and low price.