Garrard 301-Worth the effort?

A friend very generously gave me his Grandfather's Garrard 301 to restore or sell. It's not in bad shape, but won't play yet as it looks like it needs a new idler wheel and spindle (so far). I'm not crazy about the tonearm (Garrard with unknown Shure Cartridge) or plinth (plywood box). My dilemma is whether it's worth the effort and money to fix or would I be better off selling it and putting the money towards something new, possibly a VPI classic with a better tonearm? I currently use a Harman Kardon T-65C with a Grado Statement Sonata II and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better. I've read great things about the 301, but I'm more into the music than collecting antique pieces.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
heyraz

Showing 1 response by logenn

I am a huge believer in the 301, but if you want it to sing, it must be restored and recommissioned. If you plan to do it on the cheap- forget about it- there are better options.

Steve Dobbins is probably the best person in the US to tweak it and refresh the linkage and idler.

A proper base, made with resonant absorbing material such as panzerholst or slate will tame the idler vibration, is essential. A power supply, although not mandatory, adds another increment of quietness to the motor by making it run smoothly.

Although the consensus is to use a vintage tonearm like an SME, in my opinion it really sings with modern lively tonearms such as the Triplanar- an exceptional combination.

If you make the commitment, you have a top level vinyl rig.