Garrard 301-Worth the effort?

A friend very generously gave me his Grandfather's Garrard 301 to restore or sell. It's not in bad shape, but won't play yet as it looks like it needs a new idler wheel and spindle (so far). I'm not crazy about the tonearm (Garrard with unknown Shure Cartridge) or plinth (plywood box). My dilemma is whether it's worth the effort and money to fix or would I be better off selling it and putting the money towards something new, possibly a VPI classic with a better tonearm? I currently use a Harman Kardon T-65C with a Grado Statement Sonata II and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better. I've read great things about the 301, but I'm more into the music than collecting antique pieces.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
heyraz

Showing 3 responses by canam

"His [Nantais] work looks like it was built in someones shed by a high school woodshop student ..."

This is an unfair comment. If you look on his website gallery, his latest tables are beautiful. You may be referring to his early work. And he deserves respect for being the guy who told the world of the potential that these old tables have and started this refurb trend, which others (including Artisan) have simply copied.

BTW,I also think most of Artisan's tables look great.
Jeremy: I agree the finish on the Artisan's is very nice - certainly more "highly polished" than the Nantais Lenco's but the more satiny finish on the Nantais is still excellent in my opinion (I prefer the more satiny look). I also think the Artisan Lenco's are proportionally too bulky looking - I haven't heard either, so I can't comment on the sound difference ( I suspect they would both sound great).

To Heyraz: It might be a good idea to sell the Garrard as is and buy and refurbish a Lenco. Garrard's sell for alot more than Lenco's so you save some money. From what I can see the Lenco's seem to be easier to refurb as well.