From Pipedream to MBL 101e, any thought?

Hi everybody, I have just decided to buy a pair of MBL 101e, used of course. I'm looking for a more holographic image and sit anywhere sound stage. What I'm not so sure is the matching with my Mark Levinson NO. 33 I'm using with the Pipedreams. Actually I'm using 2 pairs of them to drive the Pipes so I can do the same with 101e for passive biamping.
I learned from a few post in Audiogon who successfully use amps other than MBL own with great success so I hope my 33s can do the job as well. Any comments would be appreciated.
Suchart
suchtan

Showing 1 response by kiwi_1282001

Lrsky [...]The MBL's are terrific speakers and the Levinson will do fine with them. The question is, is that amp as good as the MBL?
While I haven't done an A/B/A comparison, I'd have to say no. But, as good as, is not as important as, will it work for this purpose? Yes.

Have to agree with Lrsky. A friend of mine is the local MBL dealer and I've spent hours in front of different versions of the MBL speaker. You don't mention room size or typical preferred listening levels but in general the 101 needs bags of current and I'm not sure you will maximize the potential of the speakers with your current amplification. The 101e would usually be paired with a pair of MBL 9011 amps at the shop (several kW or power!)