FR64 cartridge suggestions

Been out of the loop for quite a few years due to some 'life' events, with system in storage.

I have been able to pull my system from storage, and last year worked enough overtime to upgrade or purchase new equipment, but I have not upgraded my turntable/tonearm/cartridge yet.

My turntable is a Technics SL1000 MKII which for those not familiar, is the Technics SP10 MKII turntable mounted on a factory plinth.
I have two Technics B-500 bases with an 'E' armwand and 'H' armwand that I don't use.
The tonearm I do use is a Fidelity Research FR64, so I need a low compliance cartridge.
The cartridge I used last is a vintage Fidelity Research FR-1 MK3 F, which needs to be re-tipped, and I will do so once I get a replacement.

The rest of the system includes:

Zesto 1.2 Andros tube phono stage
Zesto 1.5 tube preamp
Quicksilver V4 tube amps (new KT150 version)
Green Mountain Audio Continuum 3 speakers
JL Audio 113 Fathom subwoofers (pair)

Curious what cartridges other high mass tonearm owners are using, especially those who use Fidelity Research FR64/66 tonearms.

Looking for cartridges under $2000 USD at most.. probably should spend half that.

I have over 20K records, so I am very anxious to get this back into service.

Really curious about suggestions and thanks in advance.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 12 responses by rich121

Wow... so much knowledge out there... love these posts!

I'm learning and having a good laugh at the same time... some very interesting personalities here  :)

Keep the posts coming!

What is the opinion of either the SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star or the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze for the FR64s?

lewm and nandric

I bought 2 of the same B-60 bases that you did, from ’Tien’ for both of my FR64S’s.

One of the bases slides up and down tightly, with no play...the other is similiar to what nandric reported, it has some side to side movement.

Tien responded to this by telling me that the base with play needed more silicone oil, which he would mail, and he would send me a video on how to maintain and use the B-60.
I also asked for the ’gun metal’ screws that nandric requested from Tien, but I received no tonearm mounting screws with the 2 B-60 bases.

Tien says he will send the oil and that it was lost in the mail... hope so, as I cannot use the bases without the screws and need some help with the oil, as I didn’t even know they used oil.

nandric , solypsa :

I believe I purchased his last two B-60 clones for my FR 64s’s.... One slides up and down, nice and tight and no side movement... the other, has slight side movement.
Which I could know what needed to be fixed and knew where to take it... Not much for ’intricate’ machine shops here... larger production stuff.
Another question.....

I have both the FR64 and FR64S

The FR64 has a round disc shaped 'Lateral Balance' weight, which is smaller in size/mass (and different) than the long cylinder shaped Lateral Balance weight used on the FR64S.

Because of this and other differences, does the FR64 have significantly less Effective Mass than the 35 grams of the FR64S?

I have sent the FR64S to Ikeda for rebuild and silver internal wire replacement.
Would the FR64 have near equal performance as the FR64S, but with the ability, if it does have less Effective Mass, to work better with cartridges of slightly higher compliance?
If so, I will have the same rebuild done to it.

I have recently purchased the SoundSmith Sussurro II ( 10μm/mN compliance) and just got back my FR-1 MK3 F from SoundSmith which had ruby cantilever/retip and last week sent them my FR MC201 to have the same done, they are both also 10um/mN compliance.

Would the FR64 be a better match for these cartridges than the FR64S?
lewm,

email sent.

Not sure if Colby wouldn't be the best bet, but still hope that Tien will come thru... I have been pressing for a fix for quite awhile and my patience is waning....  

:)
chakster
I have 2 counter weights, one is 175 grams, which was used on the FR64 and  the other is 250 grams, which I'm hoping to be able to use with the FR64S.
I'm hoping I will be able to get balance close to the bearing so as to lower the seen Effective Mass, but won't know if it works until I get the tonearm back from Ikeda, which I just shipped on Monday, they will completely disassemble the tonearm, clean it, check for any issues, repair/relube and then replace the existing silver wire with new Ikeda silver wire.

I was planning on using a carbon fiber Yamamoto HS4S headshell... it is only 10.7 grams (compared to the 20 grams of FR headshell used when rating the FR64S @ EM of 35 grams) and the leads on the headshell are 6N copper leads, next I would like to find a similar headshell with 6N silver leads.

I talked with Peter Green of SoundSmith and he said that the 10um/mN @ 10Hz rating on their cartridges is a good match for up to around 29 gram Effective Mass on a tonearm. Actually most of their cartridges fall into this range.
lewm

Sounds like a great idea.

Also, so you know, I have been in contact with Tien, the person we bought these from, and he says that new screw guides are being made and will be done in a week or so.
I know Colby is very capable, I have seen much of his work in person, he has built quite a few HEAVY turntables, etc.
This might be something that each individual B60 may need 'custom tuning'... not sure if the tolerances of each were close enough for a universal part and that that is why we are having these troubles? Just as in the 2 examples I have, one has no vertical or lateral play, while the other has quite a bit lateral play.
Colby did make me the SP-10 MK3 center disc removal tool, thanks for the suggestion.
When I did the 1600 mile round trip from WA state to CA about a week ago, I was supposed to stop by Colby's new place on the way back (I live less than 200 miles from him, and have only visited him at his previous home, have not seen his  new acquisition) but I had drove straight, without sleep and needed to get home... won't do that again... 36 hours straight with only a couple 'cat naps' to keep me refreshed enough to drive.
I got the SL1000 MK3 home safely and it is in very nice condition.  Unused for the past 20 years and light use before that time.  When funds allow, will be shipping off for complete refurb with Krebs mods... but will have to wait, as I have spent WAY too much $$ in the past month or so.
nandric

"

BTW I assume that you mean with FR-64 the 64S (S=steel).

There is also an FR-64 with aluminum arm wand and round

lateral balance."

I have one of each, one is the 'S'  (With "Silver Wire Inside" sticker) which is at the Ikeda shop in Japan right now getting refurbish/regrease/rewire with Ikeda silver, the other, which has the "round lateral weight" is mounted to my SL1000 MK2.  I have seen 2 different places spec both of these arms as to having the same effective mass, one says 35 grams, (vinyl engine) the other (1986 Stereo Review Stereo Buyers Guide) says 30 grams.

How much 'better' is the 'S' model?

I plan to use the 'S' version when I get it back from Ikeda on my newly acquired SL1000 MK3. 
Hopefully the guide pin issue is solved soon, still waiting.