Found the receiver, now on to the speakers...

I recently found the HK 3480 stereo receiver to be the thing I'm looking for. It's 100 watts each channel, 8 ohms, and it got some good ratings. I was wondering what speakers would you recommend in terms of compatability? I know there's a max continuous as well as peak wattage on speakers, so what would compliment this reciever well enough, yet stay within a budget range of around 300 dollars or less? I'm a college student, so there's not a whole lot of money to spend. Thanks a lot for the help.
mowntandoo

Showing 1 response by bignerd100

Regardless of the power rating that HK is giving your receiver you are going to want efficient speakers. At some point in college someone is going to turn the volume up to much. With an inneficient speaker (less than say 89db) the amp is going to clip and the speaker is going to die.

Used Kef, JBL, or Klipsch are what you need.

If size is not a problem get the Klipsch Heressy used for $400. Stretch your budget and get something that won't blow up.

You don't need the last word in resolution; just something that plays loud, makes bass, wont blow up, and wont piss you off when your roomate blows it up.

Good luck!