Forte 1A or Threshold 400A

Hi.  I changed my speakers and I sold my McCormack DeLuxe because the original board inside this amp was not safe for long term use.
As I now use speakers which have a sensitivity of 90 db/1W/1M, I have the choice of many amps available on the used market here. Forte 1A which needs new power supply caps, Threshold 400A which is fully rebuilt by a professional. The forte as is don't play at his best (it lacks definition) but I think that if properly upgraded it has some potential. The 400A price is 3 times the price of the Forte. I could also have a Classe Twenty five but I don't need 250W/C.  Do someone have some experience with some of these amps ?
legarem

Showing 1 response by cooperjack

I have a Threshold 400A/Cascode driving Kef LS 50's. I bought it new and recently had it recapped and replaced the power switch and input connectors, and added an Anti Cables power cord. I've owned this amp since new. Over the years I've used it with Dayton Wright electrostats, Tympani Maggies and Fuseliers .   I didn't realize just how great this amp is until I decide to upgrade the desktop system with the LS 50's. Maybe one of Pass Labs amps is better but I  really love listening to music with the Threshold.