For classical music lovers best amp for large orchestral forces?

I recently upgraded my pre to an arc ref 6se. Currently using pas xa25. It's a very good amp but I'm noticing a fair amount of compression when playing large symphonic works. My speakers are Dalis and they are excellent as is the arc.

For smaller forces, chamber, piano and voices the system works beautifully. But if I'm looking for more transparency and a deeper sound stage for symphonies I find sometimes a boxy cramped sound. Looking to spend around 8k or less either tube or solid state. There have been discussions about the xa25 and what's better but they fill up immediately with tangents of philosophical and technical discussions of how one hears. I'm looking for as many possibilities of actual units that I can read about and possibly hear.

Thanks for your ideas.

roxy1927

Showing 7 responses by roxy1927

jjss49

Yes I have come across many good things said about AGD. I just was interested in knowing how it compared to the xa25 and people knowing my equipment how it might fare.

It’s also helpful to know you had the xa25 twice which means you found it a very fine piece of equipment yet you now use arc and the AGD. The arc75se is a piece of equipment people love yet as somebody noted it is not difficult to come across. Too good to be true in terms of maintenance?

That’s why the AGD new might be a real possibility considering its price. I like Pass enormously and I would have confidence in buying their product used such as possibly the 250.8 or even .5 which might give me the slam and wide open space that I find lacking in the xa25 with my new arc.

And then there is the Audio Research Reference 160m... but is it very expensive? I will have to look it up.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I had the VTL S200 a while ago and I loved the sound but I found it a bit temperamental and I found dealing with the company not the easiest thing in the world. They do make a wonderful product. But it is a pleasure dealing with arc and pass.

I have been thinking about matching it up with arc but I am a bit leery of matching it up with used tube equipment as opposed to solid state as a used tube unit I bought had a lot of problems. So I bought this arc pre new. Therefore it used up quite a bit of my budget.

Still the 75 and 150 sound wonderful...

I will also read up on bi-amping as that might be cheapest of all.

I appreciate hearing from a musician like dancarlson10 because there is among certain classical music lovers the idea that a person who truly loves it should not be so much into their sound system as it is the music and performance that count. While this is very true a great sound system makes it all the more sweeter and emotionally involving at least for me. Also I've as well felt how a system handles large symphonic forces is the true test. If there is transparency, layers of sound, depth and the creation of a beautiful tapestry all other kinds of music fall happily into place whether it be rock, folk or jazz.

Thank you again.

On another forum somebody went from a xa25 to an AGD Audion. Affordable and physically manageable Anybody have experience with these?

One can always use another Mahler 2. I will check it out. I'm afraid the arc 160m is something I can't do. Maybe someday...

The Benchmark is very inexpensive. In the world of high end audio one asks what is going on? I'm not doubting you I'm just thinking wow.

But shouldn’t 89dbs with the proper amp be able to comfortably handle large symphonic forces? They really are wonderful speakers.