Focal Sopra 1 Bookshelves (with subs) or Focal Kanta 2s towers instead?

I am having trouble deciding between Sopra 1 speakers and the Kanta 2 towers by Focal. I heard them both in the store using a MacIntosh 12000. I currently have a Yamaha AS-3200 amp but I will eventually be buying the MacIntosh 12000 also. All new equipment and not used.

The room these will live in is about 300 square feet... like a 13 x 26 foot shoe box design. The room is untreated and I do not plan on treating the room or using room correction software. I have no interest in that.

I love the imaging and separation of the Sopra 1s. But I also love the warmth and low mids that the Kanta 2 speakers give. If I was to get the Sopra 1s, I would get 2 REL 510 subs with it.

Any opinions, please on if I should get the Sopra 1s or Kanta 2s?

Side note: I am not considering anything else... I like Focal/McIntosh set up I heard at the store and sticking with it.

dman777

Nice looking room, nice kit, but until you provide some attention to room acoustics, you'll never approach a small  fraction of what either setup is capable. Properly done and integrated into the room design, acoustical treatments aren't just ugly slabs hanging from the wall.

That said, I'd go with floorstanders because most stand mounts are voiced for near field listening in a small room, and that would be doubly problematic in your room both due to size and the very ... lively ... acoustics.

I will definitely go with sopra 1 with subs

99.9 % of speakers out there will increasingly benefit from subwoofers 

To me kanta is too ugly speakers I really can’t believe focal made that thing 😉😉😉😉😌😂

+1 @jeffreyw 

Lot of Focal threads lately. I have Focal Electra 1007 Be standmounts, and I am a huge fan of 2 way speakers which disappear and image like a mofo .The specs are virtually identical to the Sopra 1s, but the latter are undoubtedly better with a tilted baffle leading to better time alignment. Get the Sopra 1’s and subs. Yes, larger footprint — but will be so worth it. I am a huge fan of Focal — but not so much the Kanta collection. While I get they want to use a local and sustainable source for the Kanta drivers (flax), to my ears they sound sterile and thin and don’t produce the emotion of what the artist intended. 

I don't like the idea of using the sub I like a full range speaker I would skip over the Kanta 2 and get the 3 because that is the best one.. I don't know where you heard warmth from The 2 as there are people on here complaining about the piercing high notes. I also saw a review on YouTube with pros that claimed they couldn't live with the sibilance from the Kanta 2. Check out "Sound Somalia" on YouTube with a good set of headphones. That'll keep you busy auditioning speakers.. he tests and sells lot of Focals, along with other premium speakers but hasn't demoed Kantas.. that should tell you something when you can't find tests on the speaker it's because it's not a good sounding speaker .same went for the 936 K2 there's only a few demos and none of them sound good..I have had my heart set on Sopra 3s but think some of the Sonus Fabers are even better 

I don't like the idea of using the sub I like a full range speaker I would skip over the Kanta 2 and get the 3 because that is the best one.. I don't know where you heard warmth from The 2 as there are people on here complaining about the piercing high notes. I also saw a review on YouTube with pros that claimed they couldn't live with the sibilance from the Kanta 2. Check out "Sound Somalia" on YouTube with a good set of headphones. That'll keep you busy auditioning speakers.. he tests and sells lot of Focals, along with other premium speakers but hasn't demoed Kantas.. that should tell you something when you can't find tests on the speaker it's because it's not a good sounding speaker .same went for the 936 K2 there's only a few demos and none of them sound good..I have had my heart set on Sopra 3s but think some of the Sonus Fabers are even better