Focal Scala Utopia V1 vs Competition in 2017

Hi

I have received a very tempting offer from our dealer of a traded in Scala Utopia V1 for 10k USD. Knowing that it has been released 9 years ago. 

How is the Scala V1 doing compared to the existing speaker market for maximum of 10k? Is the Sopra considered more advanced since it's relatively newer with the recent Focal research development? 

I really don't know if this is a steal bargain or getting rid of a not so good Utopia model. 

Please help 
128x128emerald
Post removed 
I think it is better value than anything from Wilson or B&W at that price. Similar type sound but as I recall I think they image extremely well.

The bass driver was updated in later models - you may be able to do that too.
I am happy to hear that it is possibly a good deal. Anybody who compared Sopra to Utopia or otherwise ? 
I haven't heard the Sopras, but had the Focal Scala V1 from release until recently.  From the reports that I have read, I have not seen a single person prefer the Sopra 3 to the Scala. 

Note that the only difference between Scala V1 and V2 is a tuning of the bass (the V1 cannot be upgraded to V2 as there are physical differences between the units). 

One small point of caution on the Scalas is that the tweeter is slightly hot and not kind to sibilant recordings.  To the extent that you have tube gear, less revealing components/cables, slight loss of hearing in high frequencies or are generally not bothered by a slightly hot top end, I would be surprised if you can find a better speaker for the price being offered.
@bar81 thanks for the advice. However, my setup is too revealing as well. I am using Mac mini > AQ diamond usb > Devialet 250 > AQ meteor > speakers

The whole chain is connected with silver cables. Devialet is considered neutral and reveals the micro details with a SAM software to perfect the base response. 

It might be too hot combo but I kind of like it. 
purchase is done. 

In my system, my cables, my power and my room acoustics. I am an extremely happy owner for the next 5 years. All I would care about now is to find a well matched speaker cables that bests my Audioquest Meteor. 

Looking at Siltech Prince at this point. 
Congrats on your new Scalas, I originally compared V2's to Sopra 2 and massively preferred the Scala.

I have a Devialet driving a pair of Focal Utopia Diablo's and having tried a large range of speaker cables found the Analysis Plus Solo Crystal 8 to be the best.  Nordost were awful.  The enormous differences in cables I've heard lead me to beleive there are better but the cost will jump significantly!  On the 'to try' list is Lessloss C-Marc, Siltech, Crystal and Elrod.  All double or quadruple the AP prices.

I'm using the latest version of ROON with AIR built-in and have found direct over wifi to sound best.
@emerald 

Congrats on the speakers.  

There's really no way to tell what cables will work best with a particular setup.  Best option is to work with your local dealers or set up an account with the Cable Co and try out various brands until you find the one that makes you happy. 
I was in the business and have field experience with these speakers. 

The V1 can't be updated to the V2, say Focal. Regardless. Utopia 3 is a very good range. Proper placement and equipment matching will yield results that stand the test of time. 

The Sopra is strictly for audiophile material only. You can imagine the buying demographic. 
Hey Emerald,
Now that you had those Scala's for a few months, what are your thoughts up to now? Pros, Cons, Interested to hear what you think.
@leeagc did you try them with Transparent Gen5 Ultra or any other Transparent? I've heard that Focal use Transparent in internal testing
Scala Utopia V1  for 10k is a good value if it is in mint condition functionally although there could be some dent.

It is worthwhile to go for it.
I've not tried Transparent, though the store I bought them from raved about them with TA Reference XL.
My buddy has Gryphon Diablo 300 and Audio Physic Avantera III and the step from Morrow SP7 speaker cables to Transparent Reference XL was gigantic - component level change.  You could literally hear that now the amp and speaker were doing what they could.
I'm waiting to try them in mine but suspect they'll be good though very $$$
I think the Lessloss C Marc could be the price winner - maybe Cerious Graphne Matrix would be an alternative in the under $10k range.
I have a smaller room 12 x 16 x 8 ft but im still thinking about scalas for my room. I might also create a future bigger listening room so they would work there.

I wonder how v1 and v2 compare to the newer EVO. Some people say the EVO are way better, I wonder if thats the case.
I'm own a pair of Sopra 2 currently driver by Naim Nac282 and NAP250DR, I also considering to take up an offer by a dealer for a pair of used Scala V2 for approx 15k usd. Should I grab hold of the upgrade to Scala V2, but I'll be stuck with the 80WPC NAP250DR for another year or two. 

My listening room is an open family hall approx 14ft x 11ft x 11.5ft
@kent3888 what did you end up doing?  I had Scala v1 some years ago, and let them go.  Wish I hadn't.  I had Sopra 2s last year, but they couldn't deliver the scale, drama, impact, or depth (move enough air) in my room - compared to the Scala v1 or Wilson Sophia - to satisfy.  
My room is 14x21' w 10' ceilings.  
I'm wondering if I should try the Sopra 3s or get Scala v1 (or v2) again. 
No place to hear the Sopra 3s... 
Anyone w/ further comparison thoughts would be appreciated.