Focal Aria 936 vs 926 bass response

I am looking at a couple of Focal Aria speakers in the same model line, and trying to decide on which will work best in my room. The listening area is 14 x 25 x 8.5, but it opens up into another room of the same size (open concept with a half wall between them). Listening distance is 8-9 feet. I have listened to the 936 and liked it, but am a little concerned that it could be too much bass for my room. Also, I have very limited placement options where these are going. My dealer does not have the 926 in stock so I have not listened to it; I assume it will sound very similar to the 936, but with less bass, so I’m wondering if I can get away with the 926. The 926 is also a little smaller so it has better WAF. There is a return policy at the dealer but ideally I’d like to make the right choice initially.

The frequency response of the speakers is as follows. How much bass will I be missing in practical terms between the two? I know the replies may well be “nobody can tell until you get them into YOUR room” but I thought I’d throw it out for comment anyway.

Focal Aria 936:
Frequency response: (+/- 3dB) 39Hz - 28kHz
Low frequency point: 6 dB 32Hz
Sensitivity: (2.83V / 1m) 92dB
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms

Focal Aria 926:
Frequency response: (+/- 3dB) 45Hz - 28kHz
Low frequency point: 6 dB 37Hz
Sensitivity: (2.83V / 1m) 91.5dB
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
braudio7

Showing 1 response by baxsc01

I have been listening to the Aria 926 for about two years and have not auditioned the 936.  Originally the 926 speakers were driven by a NAD C356BEE integrated amp.  Very careful room placement per the manual gave false bass (boomy) and it got worse closer to a wall.  I used the Focal test tones and the 45 Hz limit is accurate.  I verified with a SPL meter.  For me, I solved everything with the addition of a Gallo TR2 sub with embedded 80Hz filter.  The tone sweep with sub in place is within 3 Db, down to 35 Hz.  Now, as to the amp, I got curious and replaced the NAD integrated with a preamp and Rotel RB1080, at 200 watts a channel.  That made a huge difference, more than expected.  With listening levels being equal the soundstage was broader, imaging much more precise, and I heard things I did not hear before, like people talking in the background during a Miles Davis recording.  I also heard what I would call a sympathetic vibration in bass drum and snare rattle on the drum skin, not just the hiss.  I bought the Rotel primarily to avoid clipping, but got a lot more out of the speakers even at reasonable listening levels.  I don't know how much of this is a better circuit or more juice.  But it's not placebo - I put the NAD back in then went back to the preamp/Rotel and the difference was clear.