Focal 926 -----> Dynaudio Special 40 or.....

Room is 12 x 24 with the rig on one of the 12 foot walls. Bay window on one side that can be closed off with baffled blind for critical listening Other side of rig has 10 ft open wall section that leads into kitchen.  I put a photo of the rig in my profile.

Amplification is: Quad Sterea 140W 8hm

input Sensitivity 980mV(RCA line in)
Input Impedance 10kohm (Balanced)
  15kohm (Unbalanced)

Rel T/9x Sub

Current speaker Focal 926.

I have a pair of Dynaudio Evoke 10 in another system that I rolled in for a test and really like the way they sound but they are a bit small for the room. I was wondering if moving from the 926s to say the Dynaudio Special 40 would be enough speaker for my room? Especially if I added another T9 to the mix.

Anybody moved from Focals to Dynaudio? Or moved from full range similar to the Focals to a smaller speaker such as the Special 40 that may be smaller but also has a bit higher build quality than the Focals? And have sub/s?

128x128jbuhl

Showing 1 response by dwest1023

The special 40 would have no problem filling your room. However those speakers like current to sound their best. I use mine with a Pass Labs integrated 250. A speaker that would definitely fill your room and is very dynamic is the JBL 1600. These things sound like floor standing speakers! I am driven them with my Accuphase 380 and I cannot stop listening to them. You can try a pair from cruthfield and if they dont work for you, they can be returned. I bet you wont. I own serval of the popular and highly rated bookshelf, such ad Kef LS50 meta, Goldenear BRX no Buchardts 400 SE to name a few, and I tell you none sound like these, if you like that wide dynamic sound.