Florida Audio Expo 2020 - What did you think?

I probably only saw half the rooms, nevertheless, here are just a few of my takeaways:

a. tons of vinyl....probably 80% of the rooms

b. almost all the rooms sounded good...but...way too loud....probably 80% of the rooms at over 90db...probably trying to drown out the people talking in the background instead of stepping outside???

c. not enough "affordable" gear, really liked the Fyne 502 loudspeakers at $2500

d.  lots of good sounding speakers in the $5-10k range...the Pure Audio Projects sounded really good...and only 3' out from the wall

e. of course the MBLs sound good...but man, those Vaughn Speakers with the 4" line array and plasma tweeter...really nice sounding

f. as were the Daedalus Apollos, very musical...and the Carver Amazing Line Source, very spacial

g. great people willing to spend time with you

h.  hard to really comment on the sound of the electronics...just no way to compare...so, if I like the sound of a room, then I had to assume that the room, speakers and electronics played well together!

i. and then there is the VAC Statement 450iq integrated amp for $150k...what else can I say

j.  very enjoyable...should have budgeted two day
snapsc

Showing 3 responses by ranjan

I also enjoyed the audio show. I was able to see all the rooms but it took the better part of 2 days. I agree that the Fyne Audio speakers were very impressive. Great value for the money. They were in 2 rooms either the F702 mated with a Pass integrates (can’t recall the model) and the F502 with Bryston. I would rate the F702 as by far the best under $10,000 speakers at the show. I was pleasantly surprised as I had never heard of the brand before.
Izzy I spent some time in the Spatial room. I was underwhelmed. My thought was too much speaker in too small of a room. Perhaps a smaller model would have worked better. They also had them cranked up when I was there and the volume overwhelmed the space. Reminded me of visiting a friend’s friend who had a large pair of Spatial in a 8x12 room in a mobile home. My feet almost touched the speakers when I sat on the couch. Just my opinion.