First time Biasing tubes

When I'm checking the bias and adjusting the bias -- what is it that I don't want to touch -- my VTL manual talks about all of the high voltage lurking in the amp -- which suggests there are things I don't want the probe (or my hand) to make contact with -- but as a newcomer to tubes, I really am not sure what I'm trying to avoid doing in the process. Thanks in advance for your help.
vtl
Thanks Marakanetz!!! - I think I get it now! There are two bias slots marked left and right and now that I think about it, the two pots I see may be actually be two bias pots - one for right and one for left. Does that sound right/possible? I was applying my voltmeter to both bias slots (duh!).
No it's NOT right!
Bias slots are ONLY for the RED lead of your voltmeter.
The black ground lead of your voltmeter should be connected to chassis or ground speaker binding post.
RIGHT and LEFT mards I assume are for master bias controlls for each CHANNEL to add more flexibility towards using unmatched tubes.
I'm not familiar with Scott amp and telling you from the general tube experience and knowlege of a major tube circuitries.
You should also know what bias level you should set according to manuals. You should use a milliVolt scale on your voltmeter if it's not digital with auto range.
Slowly vary the trim pots in order not to over or underbias too much.
Marakanetz - I actually understood you the first time, but did not make that clear. Two bias slots - connect red lead of meter to one, black lead to ground. Set bias. Repeat for other slot. Thanks!