First Stereo System Help

Hi all,

This Christmas I received a Pro-ject Debut Carbon but will be building the rest of the system myself. This is my first stereo system so my knowledge is pretty limited and I'm looking for advice on speakers and an amp. Some (hopefully) helpful information and some of my thoughts.

1. Listening area will be an apartment living room, maybe ~350-400 sqft, don't need huge volume.

2. Hoping to spend ~$1000, fine with buying used.

3. I know I need a phono stage, and from what I've read the Rega Fono Mini is one of the best budget phono stages for MM cartridges and will outclass phono stages in integrated amps significantly. This has made me shy away from something like a Marantz PM6004 and lean towards a separate phono stage. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.
priptonite
If you like Music Hall, Audiogon member Underwoodwally (Underwood Hi Fi) is a great resource, call Walter.

I have no affiliation other than having purchased several pieces from Walter over the years.
Get the Yamaha A-S500 integrated, it is terrific for the money and has a very decent phono input. Spend the rest on monitors like the Focal 807 now on sale at Musicdirect.
Was able to demo some Totem Dreamcatchers when I went to demo the Music Hall items and liked them quite a bit. Store was selling them for $795. Went home and found a pair on eBay, just won them for $381 + shipping. Just need an amp now :)
Do you know the resistance (ohms) and sensitivity of the Totems? Will be helpful in the selection of an amp. Could take speakers to the Music Hall dealer and listen. Should be able to buy the 15.2 at discount.
4 ohm impedance and 87.5 dB/W/m sensitivity.

I was able to listen to them through the 15.3 (turned out not to be a 15.2) and a Rega RP3 (didn't have the Debut Carbon). Might try to find a 15.2 or 15.3 online since I know I liked the sound, but it's tough since I don't know what I'm missing. Especially when it comes to a separate phono stage.