First impressions of new MH-DA006, Musetec flagship

I have received the 006 almost a week ago and have been breaking it in. The price at Shenzhenaudio is $3,900.00 USD, $600 more than the 005. The ad copy states:

"DA006 is a new generation of flagship DAC developed by Musetec over three years and launched in 2024. During this period, it has undergone more than ten revisions and adjustments.

Compared to the previous DA005, the listening experience of DA006 has been improved in all aspects. DA006 has clearer and richer details, a stronger sense of texture, a more stable sound base, better detail control, a wider soundstage, fuller and more powerful, smoother and more natural. . ."

Some brief listening during break in has been very very positive. I will report back when it has run at least 300 hours.

dbb

Member I'm in contact with using I2S directly out of streamer so no usb. Only 130 hours on unit at this point.

I was one of those who tried I2S with 005, Singxer SU6 with pretty inferior HDMI cable, never really optimized it, sold Singxer soon after. Really not interesting in optimizing that setup as USB with 005 was entirely satisfying. Same holds here, 006 just great with USB, most of my interest in getting the Gaia was in applying it to LAIV dac and any subsequent R2R dac I may purchase in future. My understanding of R2R dacs is they more sensitive to clocking vs our Sabre chip dacs, segregated/dedicated clock signal run on I2S optimum for most precise clocking.

@SNS I have the LAiV and I can tell you that their USB implementation is stellar. I purchased a Gustard U18 in order to try the I2S input on the Harmony, and there was no difference between the I2S and USB inputs.

I would love to see a comparison between the Harmony and the 006. I'm a huge fan of R2R having owned a couple of different MSB units in the past (they're too pricey for me now), and the Harmony would hold its own against the older MSB Analog DAC IMHO.

@catastrofe Technically, I don't see anything special with usb input on Laiv. Likely I'll try Laiv in main system this week, need to get up to around 200 hours burn in on this unit, this will continue to be over usb input. I2S will come later when Gaia has sufficient hours. Your take on Laiv vs older msb interesting, I've commonly heard msb described as more on analytical side.

006 COMES ALIVE! What do I mean by this? So, now at around 300 hours last night's listening session marked a transition point where 006 finally opening up. Firstly, tonally top end opened up, no longer even a hint of darkness/closed in sound, I now hear this as a former veil over the presentation, new level of transparency gained over any previous dac. Secondly, there was an important and profound change in the dynamic envelope. Specifically, I'm speaking of micro dynamics, the fine gradations of dynamics range we hear with non amplified voices and musicians, This means breath with voice and wind instruments, touch with stringed instruments, Get this right and the illusion of live performers in listening room becomes greatly heightened. Add this to the more natural timbre of 006 and you have what some describe as texture, I'd also describe it as expression, 006 has both in spades.

I'll go into a bit of depth here on this issue of compression. Certainly, I hear much about compression on recordings, not so much with playback. And I hear this described mostly as macro dynamic compression. While this is certainly a concern, the micro form is what makes recordings sound flat and boring. Maximizing micro dynamics in one's system seems to me perhaps the single most important aspect in delivering this sensation of live performers in room. Many describe highly resolving systems that only sound good with higher quality recordings. When you maximize micro dynamics in your system far more recordings become palatable  and/or involving. 006 has greatly increased my involvement with virtually every recording I've played thus far. And no homogenization like one may hear with lower levels of resolution, every recording is presented with it's own unique sound signature.

So, now we have this heightened level of expression in addition to extraordinary traits of this unit mentioned in prior posts. End result is best digital presentation I've yet heard, right up there with the best analog sources I've had the pleasure to hear.

I should also note there was a transition period running somewhere between 225-nearly 300 hours where presentation pretty poor. Unit opened up on top, slight veiling disappeared and dynamics not fully developed. Presentation I'd most liken it to was when burning in rhodium connectors, somewhat hard, bright on top, thudding one note bass. Compared to the previously somewhat polite, forgiving nature of unit in earlier hours this was quite a slap in the face. Luckily I burned through silently during vast majority of this transition. Based on many previous burn in regimes I'm expecting a more stable floor with incremental improvements, especially in dynamic envelope. Transients should balance out between attack and decay for an even more relaxed presentation.

@sns, by "stellar" I meant that LAiV's USB implementation, being galvanically isolated, is probably as good an implementation as can be found. I tried an iFi iPurifier 3 in the chain (Roon core > USB > LAiV) just for grins, and there was no improvement.

I also found the LAiV USB input to be on par with its I2S input, using a Gustard U-18. Switching between internal and external clocking on the LAiV yielded no noticeable difference either. Of course, that's a function of the clock quality in both the LAiV and the U-18.

In my 40+ years in this hobby, I've never heard MSB being described as analytical. That has not been my experience, having owned both the Analog DAC, and prior to that, the Signature DAC IV.

Looking forward to your additional thoughts once you start listening to the LAiV. 

@catastrofe In regard to usb I was specifically comparing Laiv to 006, my take based on manufacturer info is 006 takes more pains. In any case, I didn't hear any obvious issues using Laiv usb. Have Gaia cooking with Laiv via I2S at the moment in a small desktop system, can hear a difference between slaving to Gaia clock vs. using Harmony internal clock, not judging quality at this point.